|
Hijola. . .we're all coming out of the closet. I've already told a number of the "brothers" and "sisters" at work that I might be their cousin. I think if a lot more people were made aware of all the different ethnic bloodlines that run through them maybe this whole thing of ethnic superiority would not be so prevalent. I have a question about "Coyote." After getting my mtDNA that traces my mom's mom's mom's side which I know comes from Chihuahua, but there are rumors that the line might be from one of the Atotonilco's in Jalisco. . .well anyway, after finding those results take me back to Africa as my country of origin, I saw that one of paternal lines might as well take me back to Africa as my Lugo line out of Tepetongo was Coyote, Mestizo, and Espanola. so my question is how did they determine these classifications? was it that they took a DNA sample and waited for the results before making the final entries? or was there a discerning Father that would have a good look at the parents as they came to bring their children to be baptized and decide via questioning and visual comfirmation? I found it strange that this same couple would have all 3 designations given to them. . .didn't seem to be an exact science in determining what % of each race each had. thanks, joseph latina1955@... wrote:
|
|
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=WLSpanis.ASP [this is a might long link. if it doesn't work you might have to rebuild it in the URL window] go to "Racial Ternminology" ============================================ or: go to www.familysearch.org and go to "Library" go to "Education" go to "Family History Library Publications" [another time go to "Research Guidance" and do a search under "Mexico" For a wealth of info] go to "Word Lists" go to "Spanish Genealogical Word list" go to "Racial Terminology" and you'll see that "Coyote" means:
I was trying to find other references but wasn't able to find any. If anyone has a cross reference to the meaning of Coyote that would be great. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is only one source of information and it would be safe to consider it but much safer to consider it in the light of another reference or two. Just like our genealogy when we see it once we have confidence but if we see the same couples over and over with other children we "know" we have it right. Never hurts and always helps to have multiple sources. ==================== keep the questions coming, joseph latina1955@... wrote:
|
Hello, it is true what you say about this classification upgrade because I found that in my own research. My ancestor Jose Domingo Apodaca was classified as a mestizo in his marriage certificate from 1784. His wife was espanola. Of course, his son Antonio Apodaca would be mestizo too, right? But when I found the marriage record of the son, he was classified as espanol, the same as the mother. Was the indian blood lost from one generation to the next? I have read that these racial terms had no scientific basis, and they were used to describe the appearance of the individual, rather than his ethnic mixture.— In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, alice wissing <alice_wissing@y…>
wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I can’t remember where I read this, but in some parts of Mexico
the term Coyote simply meant a Mestizo, with the person not
necessarily being part black. It’s probably safe to say that if a
person is looking though records and seeing the terms coyote and
mestizo used during the same time period, the coyote was probably
someone who appeared to be part black and Indian. In researching
ancestors from Durango, I found that people who were born mulato or
coyote often got a classification upgrade when marrying an
Espanol.
>
> Alice
>
> Joseph Puentes <makas@n…> wrote:
>
>
> http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?
Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab
=&Entry=&Guide=WLSpanis.ASP
>
> [this is a might long link. if it doesn’t work you might have to
rebuild it in the URL window]
>
> go to "Racial Ternminology"
>
> ============================================
>
> or:
>
> go to www.familysearch.org and
>
> go to "Library"
>
> go to "Education"
>
> go to "Family History Library Publications" [another time go
to "Research Guidance" and do a search under "Mexico" For a wealth
of info]
>
> go to "Word Lists"
>
> go to "Spanish Genealogical Word list"
>
> go to "Racial Terminology"
>
> and you’ll see that "Coyote" means:
>
> Coyote Spanish (#65533;), Indian (3/8), and Negro (1/8)
> I was trying to find other references but wasn’t able to find any.
If anyone has a cross reference to the meaning of Coyote that would
be great. I guess what I’m trying to say is that this is only one
source of information and it would be safe to consider it but much
safer to consider it in the light of another reference or two. Just
like our genealogy when we see it once we have confidence but if we
see the same couples over and over with other children we "know" we
have it right. Never hurts and always helps to have multiple
sources.
> ====================
>
> keep the questions coming,
>
> joseph
>
>
> latina1955@a… wrote:
> In a message dated 3/12/2004 11:55:28 AM Central Standard Time,
gmccrary@z… writes:
> The baptism
> records for my family line have the children in one family
labelled
> as Indios, Mestizos and coyotes!
> What are coyotes?
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.
>
>
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam