Hey, Emile, some mestizos from Jerez held predominate
positions in Zacactecas! Two of our Gracia de la
Cadena family members were governors (Francisco Garcia
Salinas and Trinidad Garcia de la Cadena) of
Zacatecas, and many recent Duartes, Gracias, Tovars,
and Sanchezs are doctors, lawyers, writers, and
successful business men throughout Zacatecas. But
yes, light skin Mexicans do have an aveage over those
of dark skin, just like in this country.
Alberto Duarte Prieto
Santa Maria, California
— Emilie Garcia <auntyemfaustus@h…> wrote:
</pre>
<blockquote type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Irma--
No, I don’t have the surname Romo in my lines. It
is my husband’s ancestors, the Garcias, who are
light skinned, tall, light haired, and hazel-eyed or
blue eyed Tapatios from Jalisco. The photo of the
saint in the article for which I sent a link bears a
striking resemblance to my husband, his father, and
his great-grandmother, Marciana Cervantes. I have
traced some of the Garcias who married into the
Calzada family that were from Rincon de Romos. My
husband’s gggg-grandfather Cayetano Garcia married
Anna Cleta Calzada. Marciana Cervantes was
descended from Patricio Martines [Martin] who
married Maria Maxima Duron; they were also from
Rincon de Romos. In between there were Aguirres,
Albas, Gonzaleses, Moroneses, Ornelases. The
closest surname to Romo in my husband’s lines is one
Roman.
I was just amazed that someone surnamed Romo from
Jalostitlan could look so much like my husband’s
Garcia-Cervantes family from Encarnacion de Diaz in
Jalisco. People in Jalisco and Aguascalientes must
be inter-related. They also look different from the
people I saw in Jerez when I went there in the
1960’s with my father. It seems my husband’s
ancestors were always merchants or military, or
religious, etc. (town people) and were not laborers
on the ranchos like my ancestors. That leads me to
believe that the Spaniards were more educated than
the Mesizos in Mexico and held positions of
authority and in commerce rather than laboring in
the fields and ranches.
Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA —
----- Original Message -----
From: Irma
GomezLucero<mailto:igomezlucero@c…>
To:
</pre>
</blockquote>
<pre wrap=""><a rel="nofollow" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com">ranchos@yahoogroups.com</a><a rel="nofollow" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com"><mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com></a>
</pre>
<blockquote type="cite">
<pre wrap=""> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:03 AM
Subject: RE: [ranchos] Toribio Romo – Mexico’s
Ghostly Benefactor of Illegal Aliens!
Santo Toribio has many of the features that are
commonly seen in Romos even of today. My aunt
married a Romo, and many of my cousins have a
striking ressemblance (mostly the beautiful
eyes-whether they be brown/green/blue) to Santo
Toribio. Since they haven’t done any research, I’ve
been trying to figure out any connections for them.
In doing this, I was able to tie in my dad’s side of
the family to Santo Toribio’s mother who is NOT a
Romo. This is how I came to “meet” John G. I still
have more work to do on my Romos & my cousin’s. I
also thought that my Santa Ana Romos would tie into
Rincon de Romos. My cousins claim that their father
often told them they weren’t related to the Romos of
Santa Ana–that they were from San Luis Potosi. I
just think that their features are a bit too much to
ignore. Gotta go and dig some more…
Emilie, am I understanding that you have Romo too,
and that you tied into the Romos in Rincon de Romos?
Just wondering… I know there are still many
there but haven’t been able to tie mine in …
Irma
</pre>
</blockquote>
<pre wrap="">------------------------------------------------------------------
</pre>
</blockquote>