[ranchos] CATALOGO DE PASAJEROS A INDIAS

thanks for the Report. . .I wish I had a FHC like Westwood close to me.
Here is what is available on the Pasajeros via the FHC. It looks like
in books it goes to 1599 but on Film only to 1559:

Title
Catálogo de pasajeros a Indias durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII

Authors
Bermúdez Plata, Cristóbal (Added Author)
Romera Iruela, Luis (Added Author)
Galbis Díez, María del Carmen (Added Author)
Archivo General de Indias (Sevilla) (Added Author)

Notes
Vol. 1-3 compilado bajo la dirección de Cristóbal Bermúdez Plata; vol. 4-5 por Luis Romero Iruela y María del Carmen Galbis Díez; vol. 6-7 por María del Carmen Galbis Díez.
Contenido: v. 1. 1509-1534 -- v. 2. 1535-1538 -- v. 3. 1539-1559 -- v. 4. 1560-1566 -- v. 5. 1567-1577 -- v. 6. 1578-1585 -- v. 7. 1586-1599.
Cada volumen incluye índices.
La Biblioteca tiene solamente volúmenes 1-7.
Lists of passengers from Spain to the New World during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The Library has only volumes 1-7, which go until 1599. Each volume includes indexes.

Subjects
Spain - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Colonization
Spain, Sevilla, Sevilla - Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers, catalogs

Copies
Call Number - Location - Status
946 W2sa -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 2-3 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 4 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 1 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 2 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 6 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 7 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available

Format
Books/Monographs (With Film)

Language
Spanish

Publication
Sevilla : [publicaci�n varia], 1940-

Physical
v. : il., facsíms.

ISBN/ISSN
8474831857 (obra completa)

Subject Class
946 W2

Title Also Known As
Pasajeros a Indias

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
También en microfilm. Salt Lake City : Filmado por la Sociedad Genealógica de Utah, 1956. en 4 rollos de microfilm ; 35 mm.
Vol. 1. (1509-1534) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 1 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1538) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 2 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) . -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277578 ]
OTRA FILMACION . Vol. 1 (1509-1534) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 4 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1539) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 5 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410934 Item 1 ]

© 2002 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.



sgapodaca wrote:
As soon as I read on this board that the Westwood FHC had lots of 
Mexican films, I made a trip there as soon as I could. Of course, the 
traffic is terrible in that area (Santa Monica Blvd.)

I found lots of films from Jalisco, but none of them were needed for
my research (for right now). I got really dissapointed while looking
for two marriage records in Tlajomulco and Lagos de Moreno, and they
had the films for the years around the time I was looking for, but
not exactly the ones I needed. The good thing is that now I know what
they have, and who knows, as my research progresses, I may need some
of those films in the future.

They did have some films with info about my ancestors (Zacoalco and
Atotonilco el Bajo), but I had already took all the information I
needed from them months, or years ago. I did not find info on my
ancestors, but still,I recommend you to go to this FHC just to spend
a good time reading the books in their library and other microfilms.
I found something that even though won’t help me at this point, I am
sure it will be an very valuable tool on my research in a couple
years.

The series of books on film is called Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias
Durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII. According to this website:
http://www.cubagenweb.org/e-pass.htm , it consists of 7 volumes. The
Westwood FHC has three of them on film: Volumen I (1509-1534) Volumen
II (1534-1538) Volumen III (1539-1559) It consists of a list of
passengers who traveled from Spain to America in the 1500’s. It
includes everyone: men, women, children, white spaniards, servants,
black slaves, foreigners, etc. I immediately realized the historical
value of these documents.

The optimist would say, "Oh yes that is absolutely true!! Very 
    
good!!"
  
The pessimist would say, "But they do not have all of them, 
    
especially not 
  
the ones that I need."

There the realist would say, "Expect to have a really good time,

but not as 
  
good as you had hoped."

I have been to the LA Family History Center many times before, with

a list of 
  
microfilms I had wanted to look at, and then discovered to my 
    
dismay that 
  
they were not there.  So, not all the films are there.  But, yes 
    
they do have 
  
quite a few.

Regards,
Steven H.

I think that the book alone is worth a stop at the Westwood FHC. We will be traveling south in two weeks and I'll make an effort to stop there, maybe off peak times to miss the big traffic jams.
 
Alicia

Joseph Puentes <makas@...> wrote:
thanks for the Report. . .I wish I had a FHC like Westwood close to me. Here is what is available on the Pasajeros via the FHC. It looks like in books it goes to 1599 but on Film only to 1559:

Title
Catálogo de pasajeros a Indias durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII

Authors
Bermúdez Plata, Cristóbal (Added Author)
Romera Iruela, Luis (Added Author)
Galbis Díez, María del Carmen (Added Author)
Archivo General de Indias (Sevilla) (Added Author)

Notes
Vol. 1-3 compilado bajo la dirección de Cristóbal Bermúdez Plata; vol. 4-5 por Luis Romero Iruela y María del Carmen Galbis Díez; vol. 6-7 por María del Carmen Galbis Díez.
Contenido: v. 1. 1509-1534 -- v. 2. 1535-1538 -- v. 3. 1539-1559 -- v. 4. 1560-1566 -- v. 5. 1567-1577 -- v. 6. 1578-1585 -- v. 7. 1586-1599.
Cada volumen incluye índices.
La Biblioteca tiene solamente volúmenes 1-7.
Lists of passengers from Spain to the New World during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The Library has only volumes 1-7, which go until 1599. Each volume includes indexes.

Subjects
Spain - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Colonization
Spain, Sevilla, Sevilla - Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers, catalogs

Copies
Call Number - Location - Status
946 W2sa -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 2-3 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 4 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 1 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 2 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 6 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 7 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available

Format
Books/Monographs (With Film)

Language
Spanish

Publication
Sevilla : [publicaci?n varia], 1940-

Physical
v. : il., facsíms.

ISBN/ISSN
8474831857 (obra completa)

Subject Class
946 W2

Title Also Known As
Pasajeros a Indias

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
También en microfilm. Salt Lake City : Filmado por la Sociedad Genealógica de Utah, 1956. en 4 rollos de microfilm ; 35 mm.
Vol. 1. (1509-1534) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 1 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1538) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 2 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) . -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277578 ]
OTRA FILMACION . Vol. 1 (1509-1534) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 4 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1539) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 5 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410934 Item 1 ]

© 2002 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.



sgapodaca wrote:
As soon as I read on this board that the Westwood FHC had lots of 
Mexican films, I made a trip there as soon as I could. Of course, the 
traffic is terrible in that area (Santa Monica Blvd.)

I found lots of films from Jalisco, but none of them were needed for
my research (for right now). I got really dissapointed while looking
for two marriage records in Tlajomulco and Lagos de Moreno, and they
had the films for the years around the time I was looking for, but
not exactly the ones I needed. The good thing is that now I know what
they have, and who knows, as my research progresses, I may need some
of those films in the future.

They did have some films with info about my ancestors (Zacoalco and
Atotonilco el Bajo), but I had already took all the information I
needed from them months, or years ago. I did not find info on my
ancestors, but still,I recommend you to go to this FHC just to spend
a good time reading the books in their library and other microfilms.
I found something that even though won’t help me at this point, I am
sure it will be an very valuable tool on my research in a couple
years.

The series of books on film is called Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias
Durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII. According to this website:
http://www.cubagenweb.org/e-pass.htm , it consists of 7 volumes. The
Westwood FHC has three of them on film: Volumen I (1509-1534) Volumen
II (1534-1538) Volumen III (1539-1559) It consists of a list of
passengers who traveled from Spain to America in the 1500’s. It
includes everyone: men, women, children, white spaniards, servants,
black slaves, foreigners, etc. I immediately realized the historical
value of these documents.

The optimist would say, "Oh yes that is absolutely true!! Very 
    
good!!"
  
The pessimist would say, "But they do not have all of them, 
    
especially not 
  
the ones that I need."

There the realist would say, "Expect to have a really good time,

but not as

good as you had hoped."

I have been to the LA Family History Center many times before, with

a list of

microfilms I had wanted to look at, and then discovered to my 
    
dismay that 
  
they were not there.  So, not all the films are there.  But, yes 
    
they do have 
  
quite a few.

Regards,
Steven H.


I have known about the Catalogo de Pasajeros a las
Indias for the last 5 years.  It is a great resource,
however, it only helps if you if you have your
genealogy in the 1500's.  If your not that far back,
it really won't help that much, especially if you have
a common name.  Still, if your surname is unique, it
will tell you the first people that came to the
Americas with your surname.  Remember the lists are
for New Spain, Peru, and the Caribbean Islands.

Saludos,
Angel


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.
http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure you’ll not find the book but only
the film of the volumes from 1509-1559.



joseph





Alicia Carrillo wrote:

I think that the book alone is worth a stop at the Westwood FHC. We will be traveling south in two weeks and I'll make an effort to stop there, maybe off peak times to miss the big traffic jams.
 
Alicia

Joseph Puentes <makas@...> wrote:
thanks for the Report. . .I wish I had a FHC like Westwood close to me. Here is what is available on the Pasajeros via the FHC. It looks like in books it goes to 1599 but on Film only to 1559:

Title
Catálogo de pasajeros a Indias durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII

Authors
Bermúdez Plata, Cristóbal (Added Author)
Romera Iruela, Luis (Added Author)
Galbis Díez, María del Carmen (Added Author)
Archivo General de Indias (Sevilla) (Added Author)

Notes
Vol. 1-3 compilado bajo la dirección de Cristóbal Bermúdez Plata; vol. 4-5 por Luis Romero Iruela y María del Carmen Galbis Díez; vol. 6-7 por María del Carmen Galbis Díez.
Contenido: v. 1. 1509-1534 -- v. 2. 1535-1538 -- v. 3. 1539-1559 -- v. 4. 1560-1566 -- v. 5. 1567-1577 -- v. 6. 1578-1585 -- v. 7. 1586-1599.
Cada volumen incluye índices.
La Biblioteca tiene solamente volúmenes 1-7.
Lists of passengers from Spain to the New World during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The Library has only volumes 1-7, which go until 1599. Each volume includes indexes.

Subjects
Spain - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Emigration and immigration
Latin America - Colonization
Spain, Sevilla, Sevilla - Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers, catalogs

Copies
Call Number - Location - Status
946 W2sa -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 2-3 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 4 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 1 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 5 pt. 2 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 6 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available
946 W2sa v. 7 -  FHL INTL Book -  Available

Format
Books/Monographs (With Film)

Language
Spanish

Publication
Sevilla : [publicaci?n varia], 1940-

Physical
v. : il., facsíms.

ISBN/ISSN
8474831857 (obra completa)

Subject Class
946 W2

Title Also Known As
Pasajeros a Indias

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
También en microfilm. Salt Lake City : Filmado por la Sociedad Genealógica de Utah, 1956. en 4 rollos de microfilm ; 35 mm.
Vol. 1. (1509-1534) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 1 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1538) -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277577 Item 2 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) . -  VAULT INTL Film [ 277578 ]
OTRA FILMACION . Vol. 1 (1509-1534) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 4 ]
Vol. 2. (1535-1539) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410933 Item 5 ]
Vol. 3. (1539-1559) -  FHL INTL Film [ 1410934 Item 1 ]

© 2002 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.



sgapodaca wrote:
As soon as I read on this board that the Westwood FHC had lots of 
Mexican films, I made a trip there as soon as I could. Of course, the 
traffic is terrible in that area (Santa Monica Blvd.)

I found lots of films from Jalisco, but none of them were needed for
my research (for right now). I got really dissapointed while looking
for two marriage records in Tlajomulco and Lagos de Moreno, and they
had the films for the years around the time I was looking for, but
not exactly the ones I needed. The good thing is that now I know what
they have, and who knows, as my research progresses, I may need some
of those films in the future.

They did have some films with info about my ancestors (Zacoalco and
Atotonilco el Bajo), but I had already took all the information I
needed from them months, or years ago. I did not find info on my
ancestors, but still,I recommend you to go to this FHC just to spend
a good time reading the books in their library and other microfilms.
I found something that even though won’t help me at this point, I am
sure it will be an very valuable tool on my research in a couple
years.

The series of books on film is called Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias
Durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII. According to this website:
http://www.cubagenweb.org/e-pass.htm , it consists of 7 volumes. The
Westwood FHC has three of them on film: Volumen I (1509-1534) Volumen
II (1534-1538) Volumen III (1539-1559) It consists of a list of
passengers who traveled from Spain to America in the 1500’s. It
includes everyone: men, women, children, white spaniards, servants,
black slaves, foreigners, etc. I immediately realized the historical
value of these documents.

The optimist would say, "Oh yes that is absolutely true!! Very 
    
good!!"
  
The pessimist would say, "But they do not have all of them, 
    
especially not 
  
the ones that I need."

There the realist would say, “Expect to have a really good time,



but not as


good as you had hoped.”

I have been to the LA Family History Center many times before, with



a list of


microfilms I had wanted to look at, and then discovered to my


dismay that


they were not there.  So, not all the films are there.  But, yes


they do have


quite a few.

Regards,
Steven H.






Joseph:

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew....but I have the following books in my library.  Purchased long ago in Spain and other places.
I will look up names for people unable to go to the library.  They are well indexed so there shouldn't be big problems.  What do you think?

Indice Geobiografico de Cuarenta Mil Pobladores Españoles de American en el Siglo XVI, Tomo l - 1493 - 1519
Same as above, Tomo II   1520 - 1539

Catalogo de Pasajeros A Indias, Siglos XVI, XVII, y XVIII
       Vol IV - 1560 1566
       Vol V - 1567 - 1574
       Vol V - Tomo II 1575 - 1577
       Vol VI - 1578 - 1585
       Vol VII - 1586 - 1599

I thought the Culteral in Madrid was going to publish Vol. VIII but I have never heard of any being published.

I also have :  Indice Geo. de mas de 56 Mil Pobladores de la American Hispanica, Tomo I, 1493 - 1519  by Peter Boyd Bowman (note this is not cuarenta but 56) .  This is a Xerox copy, the rest are the originals.

Mickey

go Mickey go,



cool dude!



now all I have to do is find my genealogy back to that time period and
I’ll be knocking on your electronic door. thanks much for this kind
offer. If you happen to be looking around and just happen to see any
Puente or Puentes well just the reference will be cool. I’ve often
thought about the possibility of going back to the Puente/Puentes that
I can find and tracing them forward and hoping they were the ones that
migrated to Zacatecas and or North Jalisco. That kind of genealogy
would be way harder I believe but something to think about.



thanks again for your willingness to help and contribute to the
betterment of the members of the group,



joseph



ps: how much did they cost?







MMG8938@… wrote:

Joseph:

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew....but I have the following books in my library.  Purchased long ago in Spain and other places.
I will look up names for people unable to go to the library.  They are well indexed so there shouldn't be big problems.  What do you think?

Indice Geobiografico de Cuarenta Mil Pobladores Españoles de American en el Siglo XVI, Tomo l - 1493 - 1519
Same as above, Tomo II   1520 - 1539

Catalogo de Pasajeros A Indias, Siglos XVI, XVII, y XVIII
       Vol IV - 1560 1566
       Vol V - 1567 - 1574
       Vol V - Tomo II 1575 - 1577
       Vol VI - 1578 - 1585
       Vol VII - 1586 - 1599

I thought the Culteral in Madrid was going to publish Vol. VIII but I have never heard of any being published.

I also have :  Indice Geo. de mas de 56 Mil Pobladores de la American Hispanica, Tomo I, 1493 - 1519  by Peter Boyd Bowman (note this is not cuarenta but 56) .  This is a Xerox copy, the rest are the originals.

Mickey

Hello:

How much did they cost.  I do not remember but they were cheap.  I brought back a set for myself and my friend.  I took an extra suitcase for books.
I will look up the Puentes for you.  And, yes it is early.  And yes, it would be harder to start from Adam!

Mickey
Hello Joseph:


Well, I was typing and typing some Puentes for you and hit the wrong button!!

I will list some names in the last book...Vol. VI  1578-1585

All de la Puentes; Alonso; Ana;, Catalina; Diego Lopez de la; Fabian;
Francisco; Juan; Juana; and Martin

For Juana:  it reads as follows:
4.956 Pedro Romero, natural de Ayamonte, hijo de Martin de Escobar y de Ines Lopez, con su mujer Juana de la Puente, natural de Madrid, hija de Juana de la Puente y de Maria Gonzalez, al Nuevo Reino de Granada, com criado del licenciado (Alonso Lopez de) Salazar, 20 marzo 1582.

Where is Nuevo Reino de Granada?  They are talking about New Spain, right?

I am in the 1600' on some lines but not in the earlier years., however, I am glad I bought the books.  They were purchased from the "Ministerio  de Cultura".  It would be interesting to find out if they are still available.  Vol VI was published in 1986.  At the time I purchased the books the office was on Gran Villa street....it has been a few years.

Let me know if you need more names.

Mickey