[ranchos] Clues to Indigenous Ancestors/DNA

Well that is very interesting and I have a situation where my GG
grandfather, Maximo Gonzales is the child of Antonio Gonzales and
Ignacia Gonzales. You might have given me great food for thought on
this subject. Unfortunately I don’t know to much about it but I did
find a URL that voices the same thing:



http://nahuatl.info/research/genetics.htm

In his personal, ancestral history, Dr. Mario E. Alburges (one-half indigenous Venezuelan, one-half French descent), Research Assistant Professor and Director of Diversity Affairs, at the University of Utah College of Pharmacy, describes the Spanish colonial ranches as a place where indigenous people were enslaved:

From Florida to California, down to South America, the Native People underwent forced labor conditions on colonial ranches. Stripped of their human identity and sovereignty, community-wide designations of patriarchal surnames were applied based on the last name of the ruling Spanish ranch lord.

joseph


arturoramos2 wrote:
I just ran across this individual record in the LDS VRI-Mexico database... the 
fact that the wife has the same last name as the husband is not particularly 
interesting.... what is more interesting is that the wife's parents both have in 
effect the same name.

I remember reading somewhere that when indigenous people married into or
were hired into a family they were “assigned” the name of the family they were
associated with for lack of a better alternative. Does anyone know anything
more concrete on this that can shed any light?

Individual Record FamilySearch™ Vital Records Index
Mexico

Natividad GONSALEZ       Age At Marriage: 18
Sex: <F>

Event(s):    
Birth: <1842> Place: Urives

Parents:    
  Father: Crecencio GONSALEZ
  Mother: Crecencia GONSALEZ

Marriage:    
Spouse: Felipe GONSALEZ Age At Marriage: 35
Marriage: 05 Feb 1860

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/