[ranchos] Digest Number 676

Does anyone know Jose Luis Vasquez y Rodriguez de Frias' current e-mail and postal address, and telephone number? Please send. I lost his book and would like to replace it.

Sincerely,

Charles Clark

----- Original Message -----
From: <ranchos@yahoogroups.com>

To: <ranchos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 5:40 AM
Subject: [ranchos] Digest Number 676

There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

 1. Need help with title.
      From: &quot;John Gonzalez&quot; &lt;1gnzlz@...&gt;
 2. Re: &quot;Ranchos Support Fund&quot;
      From: Olivia Jaurequi-Reyes &lt;ojaurequireyes@...&gt;
 3. Re: Need help with title.
      From: &quot;Emilie Garcia&quot; &lt;auntyemfaustus@...&gt;
 4. Re: Need help with title.
      From: &quot;John Gonzalez&quot; &lt;1gnzlz@...&gt;
 5. Re: &quot;Ranchos Support Fund&quot;
      From: Alicia Carrillo &lt;alliecar@...&gt;
 6. RE: &quot;Ranchos Support Fund&quot;
      From: &quot;Irma GomezLucero&quot; &lt;igomezlucero@...&gt;
 7. Re: &quot;Ranchos Support Fund&quot;
      From: Joseph Puentes &lt;makas@...&gt;
 8. 1550: Suave!!!
      From: Joseph Puentes &lt;makas@...&gt;
 9. Re: Questions for Colotlan interview
      From: Joseph Puentes &lt;makas@...&gt;
10. Br. Abbreviation.
      From: Jos&#xE9; Rom&#xE1;n Gonz&#xE1;lez L&#xF3;pez &lt;jrgl01@...&gt;
11. Re: 1550: Suave!!!
      From: &quot;John Gonzalez&quot; &lt;1gnzlz@...&gt;
12. Re: Br. Abbreviation.
      From: &quot;John Gonzalez&quot; &lt;1gnzlz@...&gt;
13. Gonzalez from Jerez, Zacatecas, WAS Re: Br. Abbreviation.
      From: Margarita Vallazza &lt;TeaCozyGran@...&gt;
14. Re: Gonzalez from Jerez, Zacatecas, WAS Re: Br. Abbreviation.
      From: &quot;John Gonzalez&quot; &lt;1gnzlz@...&gt;
15. Re: 1550: Suave!!!
      From: Joseph Puentes &lt;makas@...&gt;


Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:34:44 -0000
From: "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@…>
Subject: Need help with title.

While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
de Hermosillo. "

I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?

I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that has
any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.



Message: 2
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:50:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Olivia Jaurequi-Reyes <ojaurequireyes@…>
Subject: Re: "Ranchos Support Fund"

Joseph,

If all are in agreement I think this is a good idea. You can count me for
a $25 pledge.

Olivia
So. Calif.

Joseph Puentes <makas@…> wrote: For now we are over a hundred
members strong. I would like to run

something past you that is open for discussion. Would anyone object to
having a completely optional "Ranchos Support Fund"?

I was thinking if a few of us sent in a few buck we might be able to
have $100 stipends available to send off to members that are in need or
for projects that are supportive of the Ranchos Group. This effort would
need a volunteer "use" committee which would have at least 3 members (no
ties) and one of those would be a treasurer to hold the funds. Before
the "use" committee would decide on a "use" they would bring up the use
for group discussion. but after the discussion the decision for the use
would be made by the committee.

If this is something that you all would consider going forward on then I
would like to nominate Kitty Cortez to be one of the committee members
and possibly the Treasurer. Also I would like to pledge $25 to start the
contributions.

But all that is premature if you all think this is not something worthwhile.

what say ye?

joseph


Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

[This message contained attachments]



Message: 3
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:13:19 -0800
From: "Emilie Garcia" <auntyemfaustus@…>
Subject: Re: Need help with title.

John,

According to Google "Br. Pbro." means Bachiller Presbitero. You had a
priest as an ancestor? Or was he a professor of some kind?

Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA —

----- Original Message -----
From: John Gonzalez<mailto:1gnzlz@…>

To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:34 AM
Subject: [ranchos] Need help with title.

While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
de Hermosillo. "

I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?

I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that has
any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.

SPONSORED LINKS
Aguascalientes<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aguascalientes&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=3dGDyzZK1JYlft_kl5Y0RA>
Criminal
offenses<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Criminal+offenses&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&sig=rIqx_vlal4c5USviDDmPCQ>
Zacatecas<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=0I9QabaLqZysHNkjQQ8kLA>
Zacatecas
mexico<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas+mexico&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=cOINbNYO1WJJy2BT4tgmBA>
Zacatecas
hotel<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas+hotel&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=IlWErASU8JXH8YNhGBk9hQ>
Fiesta americana
aguascalientes<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=VhhnwMFlUbMHR432RtNUkw>


YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "ranchos<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos>"
on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.


[This message contained attachments]



Message: 4
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:42:19 -0800
From: "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@…>
Subject: Re: Need help with title.

Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez de Hermosillo was in charge of the Church ( Templo
San Jose) in Teocaltiche, Jal. But my guess is that he was either a son or
a brother of my ggggg granfather. I’ll probably find out later. I am
related to Santo Toribio Romo. Third cousin, once removed. Have you ever
heard of this Saint? Santo Toribio Romo was from Santa Ana, Jalisco, just
outside of Jalos. They have just placed some of his relics in the new
(remodeled) Cathedral in Sacramento! He is the patron saint of the
immigrants.

By the way…Last week I was able to trace my ancestry all the way back to
about 1550 !!! 11 generations and Iam still in Jalostotitlan! but I hit
the wall…I guess Iam going to have to start looking in a different
direction now.

Thank you for your help Emilie.
1gnzlz@…

----- Original Message -----
From: Emilie Garcia

To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Need help with title.

John,

According to Google "Br. Pbro." means Bachiller Presbitero. You had a
priest as an ancestor? Or was he a professor of some kind?

Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA —

----- Original Message -----
From: John Gonzalez

To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:34 AM
Subject: [ranchos] Need help with title.

While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
de Hermosillo. "

I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?

I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that has
any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.

SPONSORED LINKS Aguascalientes Criminal offenses Zacatecas
Zacatecas mexico Zacatecas hotel Fiesta americana aguascalientes


YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date: 11/25/2005

[This message contained attachments]



Message: 5
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:15:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@…>
Subject: Re: "Ranchos Support Fund"

I hope everyone had or is still having a good holiday and I too contribute
$25.00 to the support fund. Just let me know where and when to send it.

Con mis mejores deseos para todos…Alicia Carrillo de San Jose, Ca

Olivia Jaurequi-Reyes <ojaurequireyes@…> wrote:
Joseph,

If all are in agreement I think this is a good idea. You can count me for a
$25 pledge.

Olivia
So. Calif.

Joseph Puentes <makas@…> wrote:For now we are over a hundred members
strong. I would like to run

something past you that is open for discussion. Would anyone object to
having a completely optional "Ranchos Support Fund"?

I was thinking if a few of us sent in a few buck we might be able to
have $100 stipends available to send off to members that are in need or
for projects that are supportive of the Ranchos Group. This effort would
need a volunteer "use" committee which would have at least 3 members (no
ties) and one of those would be a treasurer to hold the funds. Before
the "use" committee would decide on a "use" they would bring up the use
for group discussion. but after the discussion the decision for the use
would be made by the committee.

If this is something that you all would consider going forward on then I
would like to nominate Kitty Cortez to be one of the committee members
and possibly the Treasurer. Also I would like to pledge $25 to start the
contributions.

But all that is premature if you all think this is not something worthwhile.

what say ye?

joseph


Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

SPONSORED LINKS

Aguascalientes Criminal offenses Zacatecas Zacatecas mexico Zacatecas hotel
Fiesta americana aguascalientes


YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


[This message contained attachments]



Message: 6
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:28:36 -0800
From: "Irma GomezLucero" <igomezlucero@…>
Subject: RE: "Ranchos Support Fund"

Hi Joseph,
What would these funds be used for. I’m not real clear on this…
Irma


From: ranchos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Joseph Puentes
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:04 PM
To: LosRanchos
Subject: [ranchos] "Ranchos Support Fund"

For now we are over a hundred members strong. I would like to run
something past you that is open for discussion. Would anyone object to
having a completely optional "Ranchos Support Fund"?

I was thinking if a few of us sent in a few buck we might be able to
have $100 stipends available to send off to members that are in need or
for projects that are supportive of the Ranchos Group. This effort would
need a volunteer "use" committee which would have at least 3 members (no
ties) and one of those would be a treasurer to hold the funds. Before
the "use" committee would decide on a "use" they would bring up the use
for group discussion. but after the discussion the decision for the use
would be made by the committee.

If this is something that you all would consider going forward on then I
would like to nominate Kitty Cortez to be one of the committee members
and possibly the Treasurer. Also I would like to pledge $25 to start the
contributions.

But all that is premature if you all think this is not something
worthwhile.

what say ye?

joseph

[This message contained attachments]



Message: 7
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:59:07 -0500
From: Joseph Puentes <makas@…>
Subject: Re: "Ranchos Support Fund"

Irma GomezLucero wrote:


Hi Joseph,
What would these funds be used for. I’m not real clear on this…

Well the support committee would be making the final decision on that.
But my reason for suggesting the funds creation was to have small
stipends available to send to members of the Ranchos group that found
themselves in need. And for causes that would directly benefit the
purpose of the Ranchos group. We would all be able to submit suggestions
for the use of the funds but the committee would make the final decision
on the distribution.

joseph


Irma


From: ranchos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Joseph Puentes
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:04 PM
To: LosRanchos
Subject: [ranchos] "Ranchos Support Fund"

For now we are over a hundred members strong. I would like to run
something past you that is open for discussion. Would anyone object to
having a completely optional "Ranchos Support Fund"?

I was thinking if a few of us sent in a few buck we might be able to
have $100 stipends available to send off to members that are in need
or for projects that are supportive of the Ranchos Group. This effort
would need a volunteer "use" committee which would have at least 3
members (no ties) and one of those would be a treasurer to hold the
funds. Before the "use" committee would decide on a "use" they would
bring up the use for group discussion. but after the discussion the
decision for the use would be made by the committee.

If this is something that you all would consider going forward on then
I would like to nominate Kitty Cortez to be one of the committee
members and possibly the Treasurer. Also I would like to pledge $25 to
start the contributions.

But all that is premature if you all think this is not something
worthwhile.

what say ye?

joseph

[This message contained attachments]



Message: 8
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:59:39 -0500
From: Joseph Puentes <makas@…>
Subject: 1550: Suave!!!

John Gonzalez wrote:


Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez de Hermosillo was in charge of the Church
( Templo San Jose) in Teocaltiche, Jal. But my guess is that he was
either a son or a brother of my ggggg granfather. I’ll probably find
out later. I am related to Santo Toribio Romo. Third cousin, once
removed. Have you ever heard of this Saint? Santo Toribio Romo was
from Santa Ana, Jalisco, just outside of Jalos. They have just placed
some of his relics in the new (remodeled) Cathedral in Sacramento!
He is the patron saint of the immigrants.

By the way…Last week I was able to trace my ancestry all the way
back to about 1550 !!!

Suave! 1550. . .wow. give us the details. You don’t have to tell every
little detail but some of them would be great. Maybe some could pick up
some points in doing their own genealogy research.

. . .and just a thought. I don’t believe that you can say you have hit a
wall until you have thoroughly examined all those records you discovered
this past week leading you back to 1550. After you do that and then
examine collateral lines related to this research you might could say
you hit the wall. but even if you did its a wall built 400+ years ago! Cool!

joseph

[This message contained attachments]



Message: 9
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:04:51 -0500
From: Joseph Puentes <makas@…>
Subject: Re: Questions for Colotlan interview

great questions thanks Ed. . .I’ll be using many if not all.

thanks,

joseph

Edward Serros wrote:


— In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Puentes <makas@n…> wrote:


All the Colotlan and nearby area researchers of this group. Help me come
up with some interview questions for these Historiadores.

what do you want to know?

joseph

  1. What is the mining history of Colotlan?
2. Were the inhabitants of Colotlan and nearby areas migratory in nature,
looking for the

best jobs they could?
3. Did the Native American Indians of Colotlan survive? Are they still
there?
  • Is it true the haciendas turned over every three generations?
  • 5. What percent of the population in the 1700’s and 1800’s actually lived
    in the "city", like

    Colotlan vis-á-vis on the small ranches/haciendas?
    6. How did Colotlan compare in the 1700’s and 1800’s to the major cities of
    Guadalajuara

    and Mexico City?
    7. Who were the important figures in Colotlan history, both Spanish and
    Native American

    Indian?
    8. How much influence did the Catholic Church have in the area? How much
    land did the

    Catholic church own or control before the land reforms of the 1850’s?
    9. Why was Colotlan originally chosen as a site for colonization by the
    Spanish?
    10. When did the Spanish first come in force to the area? Were there
    distinct "waves" of

    immigration? Where did these Spaniards come from—provinces?
  • Is Colotlan today a prosperous city? If so, why? If not, why not?
  • 12. Does a large percentage of the young people in Colotlan emigrate to USA
    today? If so,

    why?
    13. Is "status" in Colotlan and the nearby area based on race or money or
    family history?
  • Is the area still Catholic?
  • Basta.

    Ed

    Yahoo! Groups Links

    –

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 10
    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:37:33 -0600 (CST)
    From: José Román González López <jrgl01@…>
    Subject: Br. Abbreviation.

    Hi John:
    The "Br." abbreviation is meaning to "Bachiller" (Bachelor).
    Success!
    JRGL.
    Mexico City.

    John Gonzalez wrote:
    While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
    de Hermosillo. "
    I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?
    I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that has
    any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
    greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
    Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.


    Do You Yahoo!? La mejor conexión a Internet y 2GB extra a tu correo por
    $100 al mes. http://net.yahoo.com.mx

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 11
    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:28:15 -0800
    From: "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@…>
    Subject: Re: 1550: Suave!!!

    I can give a very brief account of what I’ve been doing, but I feel that
    being able to go back about 455 years was mostly luck and the fact that my
    ancestors stayed in the same town (Jalostotitlan, Jal.) for that whole
    period. From about 1550 to 1917 , when my Grandfather brought his family to
    California.

    I got started with the family tree about 5 months ago, not knowing anything
    at all about findings roots and doing research. I was surfing the internet
    one day and just happened to run into the Ranchos web site. I noticed that
    the area of research being done by the group was mainly in Los Altos and
    sorrounding areas. I only had one piece of information when I started, and
    that was that my grandfather was from Jalisco and that he had been born in
    1875.

    I went to visit a cousin, who is 80 plus years old, to see if I could get
    him to tell me something about the family. I found out that the family was
    from Jalostotitlan, and that they had come to California around 1917. I
    also have a picture of my grandfather standing next to his truck. I noticed
    the license plate: California-1928.

    I went to the Census records and found the family living in Fullerton,
    California. Information about my family for the period, 1917 to the
    present, was collected from living relatives at family reunions and family
    visits. Now, anytime I see a relative, I bug them to tell me as much as
    they know about our family.

    I started by searching the LDS files. I found out that they have a
    mountain of information on Jalostotitlan. My next step was to visit the
    local LDS Family Research Center to order films to locate my grandfather.
    Once I found him, it was just a matter of trying to follow the thread as far
    back in time as possible. Some of the records were a tough challange to
    read, not only because of the handwriting, but on some of them, the writing
    from the back side was also visible, reversed, and mixed with the writing
    on the front side. I guess the ink had "bled" through the paper . Many
    times I felt like giving it all up. I am sure I am not the only one that
    has come across this type of problem.

    My wife is from Teocaltiche, Jalisco. Last June, we went to visit her
    family and spent two weeks in the area. I had visited Teocaltiche quite a
    few times before, but I never bother to look anything up, until this last
    trip. My interest had not been stimulated until I joined the Ranchos group
    a few months ago. We went to Jalostotitlan and found the "Rancho Los
    Portales" where my family originated. It is just about 3 miles out of
    town. I found and talked to some of the descendants of other original
    settlers who rememberd their grandfather talking about my grandfather. They
    pointed out the house where my granfather was born. I don’t have the words
    to describe the thrill and excitement that I felt when I stood there, in the
    same place where my grandfather and great -grandfather lived . Needless to
    say, I was overwhelmed with emotion…
    Upon our return, I was determined to keep on searching as far as I could.
    I’ve spent a lot of hours searching through the LDS records and now, I don’t
    regret any minute of it. It has been a very exciting everytime I found a
    new grandfather, 11 generations so far…

    My last grandfather (my first grandfather?) was married in 1570 to a lady
    from Mexico City, from there on down, all of the descendants were married
    in Jalostotitlan. It looks like my search from now on will have to be from
    Mexico City.

    Great items that I have found out so far:
    1.-My family has beeen in Jalostotitlan since 1550.
    2.-I am third cousin, once removed to a saint. Santo Toribio Romo.

    3.-I am also , possibly, related to Jose Maria Gonzalez de Hermosillo. He
    was one of the "Insurgentes" who fought for Mexican independence from spain
    in 1810-1819. The capital of Sonora, Hermosillo , was named in his honor.
    He fought in Jalisco, Nayarit, Sinaloa and Sonora. I said, possibly related
    , because the records are not very clear. Teocaltiche claims him, but so
    does Jalostotitlan, where he lived with his family.
    4.-My wife’s last name is Vallejo. There might be a connection there to
    General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. He was the last Mexican Governor of
    Northern California. There is a lot of information about him and the
    founding of Sonoma Mission, just North of San Francisco, and the Napa,
    Sonoma, Mendocino wine country. There is hardly any information about his
    father and mother. So far, I have found some contradicting reports in the
    LDS films…some have him getting married in San Diego, and some in
    Monterrey In one, they list it as Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico! The
    Montrerrey where he was born is just south of San Francisco!. In one film
    they got him getting married in San Diego and Monterey on the same day!
    That is an entire different story that I’ll try to tackle after I get a
    little further back in time with my side of the family.

    In conclusion…I can’t thank enough: The Ranchos Group members, the LDS
    for providing such valuable records and service. Irma Gomez Lucero, and of
    course, Joseph, who makes the Ranchos Group what it is.

    GRACIAS A TODOS POR LA GRAN EXPERIENCIA.

    Did I say I was going to be brief? sorry if I over extended the invitation,
    Joseph.

    1gnzlz@…

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Joseph Puentes

    To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 1:59 PM
    Subject: [ranchos] 1550: Suave!!!

    John Gonzalez wrote:

    Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez de Hermosillo was in charge of the Church (
    Templo San Jose) in Teocaltiche, Jal. But my guess is that he was either a
    son or a brother of my ggggg granfather. I’ll probably find out later. I
    am related to Santo Toribio Romo. Third cousin, once removed. Have you ever
    heard of this Saint? Santo Toribio Romo was from Santa Ana, Jalisco, just
    outside of Jalos. They have just placed some of his relics in the new
    (remodeled) Cathedral in Sacramento! He is the patron saint of the
    immigrants.

    By the way…Last week I was able to trace my ancestry all the way back
    to about 1550 !!!

    Suave! 1550. . .wow. give us the details. You don’t have to tell every
    little detail but some of them would be great. Maybe some could pick up some
    points in doing their own genealogy research.

    . . .and just a thought. I don’t believe that you can say you have hit a
    wall until you have thoroughly examined all those records you discovered
    this past week leading you back to 1550. After you do that and then examine
    collateral lines related to this research you might could say you hit the
    wall. but even if you did its a wall built 400+ years ago! Cool!

    joseph


    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    a.. Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.

    b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
    Service.



    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date: 11/25/2005

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 12
    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:43:22 -0800
    From: "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@…>
    Subject: Re: Br. Abbreviation.

    Thank you for the information Jose.
    Have you researched your "GONZALEZ" side of your family yet?

    I am a Gonzalez from the "Gonzalez de Hermosillo" from Jalostotitlan,
    Jalisco.

    1gnzlz@…
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: José Román González López

    To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 4:37 PM
    Subject: [ranchos] Br. Abbreviation.

    Hi John:
    The "Br." abbreviation is meaning to "Bachiller" (Bachelor).
    Success!
    JRGL.
    Mexico City.

    John Gonzalez wrote:
    While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
    de Hermosillo. "
    I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?
    I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that has
    any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
    greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
    Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.


    Do You Yahoo!? La mejor conexión a Internet y 2GB extra a tu correo por
    $100 al mes. http://net.yahoo.com.mx


    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    a.. Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.

    b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
    Service.



    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date: 11/25/2005

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 13
    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:41:40 -0600
    From: Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@…>
    Subject: Gonzalez from Jerez, Zacatecas, WAS Re: Br. Abbreviation.

    Is anyone else besides me descended from Cenobio Gonzalez? His parents
    are Prudencio Gonzalez and Severiana Salcedo. I’m stuck there, can’t
    find anything about their parents! Any of you Gonzalezes out there
    connected to them? Help! Marge V:)

    On Nov 26, 2005, at 8:43 PM, John Gonzalez wrote:


    Thank you for the information Jose.
    Have you researched your "GONZALEZ" side of your family yet?
    I am a Gonzalez from the "Gonzalez de Hermosillo" from Jalostotitlan,
    Jalisco.
    1gnzlz@…

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: José Román González López
    To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 4:37 PM
    Subject: [ranchos] Br. Abbreviation.

    Hi John:
    The "Br." abbreviation is meaning to "Bachiller" (Bachelor).
    Success!
    JRGL.
    Mexico City.

    John Gonzalez wrote:
    While digging my roots I came across this: " Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez
    de Hermosillo. "
    I know what Pbro. means: Presbitero. But what is the Br. stands for?
    I know it is a religious title. Is there any member out there that
    has
    any idea or can suggest a resource to look it up? Any help will be
    greatly appreciated. The subject was my gggggg Grandfather from
    Jalostotitlan, Jalisco.

    Do You Yahoo!? La mejor conexión a Internet y 2GB extra a tu correo
    por $100 al mes. http://net.yahoo.com.mx

    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date:
    11/25/2005

    SPONSORED LINKS
    Aguascalientes
    Criminal offenses
    Zacatecas
    Zacatecas mexico
    Zacatecas hotel
    Fiesta americana aguascalientes

    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    â-ª Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.

    â-ª To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    â-ª Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
    Service.

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 14
    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:09:39 -0800
    From: "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@…>
    Subject: Re: Gonzalez from Jerez, Zacatecas, WAS Re: Br. Abbreviation.

    Hi Margarita:

    My grandmother was from Jerez and her last name was Gonzalez. I have not
    had a chance to start looking in that area yet. Her name was Apolonia
    Gonzalez married to Preciliano Cerros. About 1880…

    1gnzlz@…


    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date: 11/25/2005

    [This message contained attachments]



    Message: 15
    Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:51:38 -0500
    From: Joseph Puentes <makas@…>
    Subject: Re: 1550: Suave!!!

    John Gonzalez wrote:


    I can give a very brief account of what I’ve been doing, but I feel
    that being able to go back about 455 years was mostly luck and the
    fact that my ancestors stayed in the same town (Jalostotitlan, Jal.)
    for that whole period. From about 1550 to 1917 , when my Grandfather
    brought his family to California.

    I got started with the family tree about 5 months ago, not knowing
    anything at all about findings roots and doing research. I was
    surfing the internet one day and just happened to run into the Ranchos
    web site. I noticed that the area of research being done by the group
    was mainly in Los Altos and sorrounding areas. I only had one piece
    of information when I started, and that was that my grandfather was
    from Jalisco and that he had been born in 1875.

    I went to visit a cousin, who is 80 plus years old, to see if I could
    get him to tell me something about the family. I found out that the
    family was from Jalostotitlan, and that they had come to California
    around 1917. I also have a picture of my grandfather standing next to
    his truck. I noticed the license plate: California-1928.

    see what I mean that others could learn. I have this picture of my Dad
    next to a vehicle and wanted to learn more. So you’re saying that the
    DMV has records for old license plates available? What was all the
    information they included and How can I from NC find the information? Is
    there an address I send my request to? I guess I can do that research on
    the net to come up with something but if you wouldn’t mind calling an
    asking if there is a certain website or department I could call that
    would be great.

    I went to the Census records and found the family living in Fullerton,
    California. Information about my family for the period, 1917 to the
    present, was collected from living relatives at family reunions and
    family visits. Now, anytime I see a relative, I bug them to tell me
    as much as they know about our family.

    I started by searching the LDS files. I found out that they have a
    mountain of information on Jalostotitlan. My next step was to visit
    the local LDS Family Research Center to order films to locate my
    grandfather. Once I found him, it was just a matter of trying to
    follow the thread as far back in time as possible. Some of the
    records were a tough challange to read, not only because of the
    handwriting, but on some of them, the writing from the back side was
    also visible, reversed, and mixed with the writing on the front side.
    I guess the ink had "bled" through the paper . Many times I felt
    like giving it all up. I am sure I am not the only one that has come
    across this type of problem.

    have a look at this page (http://home.nc.rr.com/puentes/) for some
    before and after examples of how I can clean up these fotos. I’m really
    busy these days but if you are really patient like in "months" send me
    that "one" record you would love to have restored and I’ll try to do a
    before and after on it. Sometimes the records are restorable sometimes
    they are not I’d have to see them. I went through and did my abuelos and
    bis abuelos etc. Don’t send me any originals but photocopies and a Scan
    in an email would be best. Send them via email to me directly or to:

    Joseph Puentes
    PO Box 12123
    Durham, NC 27709

    My wife is from Teocaltiche, Jalisco. Last June, we went to visit her
    family and spent two weeks in the area. I had visited Teocaltiche
    quite a few times before, but I never bother to look anything up,
    until this last trip. My interest had not been stimulated until I
    joined the Ranchos group a few months ago. We went to Jalostotitlan
    and found the "Rancho Los Portales" where my family originated. It is
    just about 3 miles out of town. I found and talked to some of the
    descendants of other original settlers who rememberd their grandfather
    talking about my grandfather. They pointed out the house where my
    granfather was born. I don’t have the words to describe the thrill
    and excitement that I felt when I stood there, in the same place where
    my grandfather and great -grandfather lived . Needless to say, I was
    overwhelmed with emotion…
    Upon our return, I was determined to keep on searching as far as I
    could. I’ve spent a lot of hours searching through the LDS records
    and now, I don’t regret any minute of it. It has been a very
    exciting everytime I found a new grandfather, 11 generations so far…

    My last grandfather (my first grandfather?) was married in 1570 to a
    lady from Mexico City, from there on down, all of the descendants
    were married in Jalostotitlan. It looks like my search from now on
    will have to be from Mexico City.

    no matter you will probably find better records available from there
    including information possibly found in the AGN.

    Great items that I have found out so far:
    1.-My family has beeen in Jalostotitlan since 1550.
    2.-I am third cousin, once removed to a saint. Santo Toribio Romo.
    3.-I am also , possibly, related to Jose Maria Gonzalez de Hermosillo.
    He was one of the "Insurgentes" who fought for Mexican independence
    from spain in 1810-1819. The capital of Sonora, Hermosillo , was
    named in his honor. He fought in Jalisco, Nayarit, Sinaloa and
    Sonora. I said, possibly related , because the records are not very
    clear. Teocaltiche claims him, but so does Jalostotitlan, where he
    lived with his family.
    4.-My wife’s last name is Vallejo. There might be a connection there
    to General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. He was the last Mexican
    Governor of Northern California. There is a lot of information about
    him and the founding of Sonoma Mission, just North of San Francisco,
    and the Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino wine country. There is hardly any
    information about his father and mother. So far, I have found some
    contradicting reports in the LDS films…some have him getting married
    in San Diego, and some in Monterrey In one, they list it as Monterrey,
    Nuevo Leon, Mexico! The Montrerrey where he was born is just south of
    San Francisco!. In one film they got him getting married in San Diego
    and Monterey on the same day!
    That is an entire different story that I’ll try to tackle after I get
    a little further back in time with my side of the family.

    In conclusion…I can’t thank enough: The Ranchos Group members, the
    LDS for providing such valuable records and service. Irma Gomez
    Lucero, and of course, Joseph, who makes the Ranchos Group what it is.

    GRACIAS A TODOS POR LA GRAN EXPERIENCIA.

    Did I say I was going to be brief? sorry if I over extended the
    invitation, Joseph.

    You were brief. this account could easily have been 5 more pages and I
    would have gladly welcomed it. You are a great example of what can be
    done. You used many resources and have been successful. Not to say that
    even those that use all the resources will be as successful, but how
    will we ever know unless we dig in all the corners and have a look, just
    like you did. Great job and if you want to expand it a bit and turn it
    into audio I would welcome your story in the "oral history" section of
    the Nuestra Familia Unida podcast project. Let me know off the list.

    Amazing!

    joseph

    ps: I’m sure others in the group have similar stories of how they went
    from Zero to what they now know. I would think that most of those
    stories would describe a time frame of years rather than John’s months
    (amazing!), but still they would be interesting and others could learn
    from them. If anyone else would care to tell your story please do. I
    think others will find interest and possibly do like I did and find a
    "nugget" that can be used for their own research.

    1gnzlz@… <mailto:1gnzlz@…>

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Joseph Puentes &lt;<a  rel="nofollow" href="mailto:makas@">mailto:makas@</a>...&gt;
    To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com &lt;<a  rel="nofollow" href="mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com">mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com</a>&gt;
    Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 1:59 PM
    Subject: [ranchos] 1550: Suave!!!
    
    
    
    John Gonzalez wrote:
    


    Br. Pbro. Diego Gonzalez de Hermosillo was in charge of the
    Church ( Templo San Jose) in Teocaltiche, Jal. But my guess is
    that he was either a son or a brother of my ggggg granfather.
    I’ll probably find out later. I am related to Santo Toribio
    Romo. Third cousin, once removed. Have you ever heard of this
    Saint? Santo Toribio Romo was from Santa Ana, Jalisco, just
    outside of Jalos. They have just placed some of his relics in
    the new (remodeled) Cathedral in Sacramento! He is the patron
    saint of the immigrants.

    By the way...Last week I was able to trace my ancestry all the
    way back to about 1550 !!!
    

    Suave! 1550. . .wow. give us the details. You don't have to tell
    every little detail but some of them would be great. Maybe some
    could pick up some points in doing their own genealogy research.
    
    . . .and just a thought. I don't believe that you can say you have
    hit a wall until you have thoroughly examined all those records
    you discovered this past week leading you back to 1550. After you
    do that and then examine collateral lines related to this research
    you might could say you hit the wall. but even if you did its a
    wall built 400+ years ago! Cool!
    
    joseph
    
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.8/183 - Release Date:
    11/25/2005
    

    SPONSORED LINKS
    Aguascalientes
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aguascalientes&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=3dGDyzZK1JYlft_kl5Y0RA>
    Criminal offenses
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Criminal+offenses&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=rIqx_vlal4c5USviDDmPCQ>
    Zacatecas
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=0I9QabaLqZysHNkjQQ8kLA>

    Zacatecas mexico
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas+mexico&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=cOINbNYO1WJJy2BT4tgmBA>
    Zacatecas hotel
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zacatecas+hotel&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=IlWErASU8JXH8YNhGBk9hQ>
    Fiesta americana aguascalientes
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&w1=Aguascalientes&w2=Criminal+offenses&w3=Zacatecas&w4=Zacatecas+mexico&w5=Zacatecas+hotel&w6=Fiesta+americana+aguascalientes&c=6&s=138&.sig=VhhnwMFlUbMHR432RtNUkw>


    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    *  Visit your group &quot;ranchos
      &lt;<a  rel="nofollow" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos</a>&gt;&quot; on the web.
    
    *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
       ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      &lt;<a  rel="nofollow" href="mailto:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mailto:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe</a>&gt;
    
    *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service &lt;<a  rel="nofollow" href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>&gt;.
    

    –

    [This message contained attachments]




    Yahoo! Groups Links