[ranchos] Ranchos group - GREAT reading!

Dear Natalie,
What an interesting post. My Scots mother learned to make flour tortillas from her in-laws. My Tia Offie makes lengua, and it is very tasty. I haven't tasted her cooking in over 20 years because Tia Offie no longer cooks.

When my grandkids are over here, I feed them Peanut Butter and Jelly burritos. They're my favorite snack. Marge:)
On Jul 2, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Natalie wrote:

WOW! 300+ posts in June, and it is only July 2, and there are already
31 posts! Bring it on!
The food postings have been very interesting, and has caused me to
reflect on why I cook as I do. My father is my Zacatecas connection;
he came to the U.S. in 1916 as a 4 yr. old - his mother died when he
was 17 yrs. old, so I am sure she impacted his culinary tastes and
traditions. (My mother was born in Calif. - her mother was from
Mexico, but I don't know where; my mother was 5 yrs. old when her
mother died; I was almost 12 yrs. when my mother died. I remember her
as being a good cook - she made flour tortillas everyday, a skill I
NEVER learned; I don't know her culinary traditions.) Back to my
father: he loved carnitas, frijoles de olla, birria, cabeza, cesos,
lengua, capirotada, to name a few. Growing up, these were foods eaten
only on special occasions or holidays. When I first came to Virginia
in the late 60's, the only tortillas available were frozen corn
tortillas!! By the mid-70's, when my children were young, I would
make sure that they made their acquaintence with tortillas &
frijoles, tacos & enchiladas (which morphed into a layered casserole -
too lazy to roll the enchilads; I called them chilaquiles, though
they aren't truly chilaquiles - my 5 yr. old grandson, of Irish,
Lithuanian, Anglo, Mexican, maybe Cherokee-heritage, has grown to
like them). OK - I'm sorry - got off the track.
RE: DNA - Are any of you familiar with the following site:
http://genetealogy.com ? This site was established by Megan Smolenyak
Smolenyak (that's right, her maiden name and married name), co-author
of "Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your
Family Tree".  See also: Http://genetealogy.com/articles/html/
Very interesting reading for those of you on the DNA track. Well, I
think I better close for now. Y'all have a great day. Hasta la
proxima.

Natalie Coleman, VA




SPONSORED LINKS
Aguascalientes mexico


State code

Criminal offenses

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

▪  Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
 
▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Hi Natalie,

I particularly enjoyed you posting because it reminded
me of my growing up years (I’m now 55). Both my
parents were born in the U.S. Dad (3rd of 4
children)was born in New Mexico and his parents were
from Zacatecas (Sain Alto and Nochistlan~came to the
U.S. in 1910 and 1908 respectively). My Mom (7th of 8
children) was born in California and her parents were
from Mocorito, Sinaloa, (they came to California in
1922). My Dad’s side of the family seemed to
incorporate less meat and more fruits and vegetables
in their "much more simple" meals, where my Mom’s
family routinely celebrated with the type of food you
have mentioned. My family and my Mom’s siblings and
their families all lived within a 20 mile radius of my
grandparents home and each Sunday (and all holidays)
the entire family would get together for Sunday dinner
at my "Nana and Tata’s" home. This is where the food
you mentioned was commonly served (carnitas, frijoles
de olla, birria, cabeza, cesos, lengua, nopales,
capirotad).

This is the food my cousins and I grew up on and still
enjoy when we can find it. A couple of years ago my
husband and I were visiting one of my cousins, Danny
and his wife. At the table I sat across from Danny
and my husband and Danny’s wife were sitting across
from each other. Danny and I started talking about the
food we liked and we regressed into the past and
started talking about those family meals at my
grandparent’s home. After a few minutes we noticed
the faces my husband and his wife were making and we
began laughing. We told them that they just weren’t
as lucky as we had been. Needless to say they didn’t
quite agree with us.

Olivia Jaurequi-Reyes ~ So. Calif.

— Natalie <nc_coleman@…> wrote:

> WOW! 300+ posts in June, and it is only July 2, and
> there are already
> 31 posts! Bring it on!
> The food postings have been very interesting, and
> has caused me to
> reflect on why I cook as I do. My father is my
> Zacatecas connection;
> he came to the U.S. in 1916 as a 4 yr. old - his
> mother died when he
> was 17 yrs. old, so I am sure she impacted his
> culinary tastes and
> traditions. (My mother was born in Calif. - her
> mother was from
> Mexico, but I don’t know where; my mother was 5 yrs.
> old when her
> mother died; I was almost 12 yrs. when my mother
> died. I remember her
> as being a good cook - she made flour tortillas
> everyday, a skill I
> NEVER learned; I don’t know her culinary
> traditions.) Back to my
> father: he loved carnitas, frijoles de olla, birria,
> cabeza, cesos,
> lengua, capirotada, to name a few. Growing up, these
> were foods eaten
> only on special occasions or holidays. When I first
> came to Virginia
> in the late 60’s, the only tortillas available were
> frozen corn
> tortillas!! By the mid-70’s, when my children were
> young, I would
> make sure that they made their acquaintence with
> tortillas &
> frijoles, tacos & enchiladas (which morphed into a
> layered casserole -
> too lazy to roll the enchilads; I called them
> chilaquiles, though
> they aren’t truly chilaquiles - my 5 yr. old
> grandson, of Irish,
> Lithuanian, Anglo, Mexican, maybe Cherokee-heritage,
> has grown to
> like them). OK - I’m sorry - got off the track.
> RE: DNA - Are any of you familiar with the following
> site:
> http://genetealogy.com ? This site was established
> by Megan Smolenyak
> Smolenyak (that’s right, her maiden name and married
> name), co-author
> of "Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests
> to Explore Your
> Family Tree". See also:
> Http://genetealogy.com/articles/html/
> Very interesting reading for those of you on the DNA
> track. Well, I
> think I better close for now. Y’all have a great
> day. Hasta la
> proxima.
>
> Natalie Coleman, VA
>
>
>


Yahoo! Sports
Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com