[ranchos] Re: Fee

readysetgo95814 wrote:

I agree with John and Steven. Free web space is available
elsewhere. One such site is Rootsweb. For individual accounts see:
http://accounts.rootsweb.com/index.cgi?op=show&page=freagree.htm

They also have an option for genealogical societies (such as ours)
that will give you free space to operate a website.

this sounds good can someone (Arturo???) look into this. Free sounds
good to me.

See:
http://accounts.rootsweb.com/index.cgi?op=show&page=gensoc.htm

If Joseph agrees to be the webmaster this would be a good option for
us.

I don’t know about that. . .I just don’t have the time to do anything
but the bare minimum required here. Making the transition would require
"work" and I am just not up to it. But I will be supportive of anyone
wanting to take over the reigns of the group.
As it is I think we need someone to just take all the resources that
have been accumulated and put them on DVD. I guess that might be an
option. If someone (Arturo???) agreed to put everything on Ranchos2 on
DVD and Everything on Ranchos1 on DVD and I could so everything on
Briefcase. Then the that person could open the new location and
subscribe everyone and when it is all finished we could then pull the
plug on the Yahoo group.

that might work,

joseph

Another option is your own Internet Service Provider. Most allow you
a certain amount of space to host your own site, but I know some
people might be less technical and find this to be more challenging.


thats meeeeee

Maria



Arturo Ramos wrote:


The problem with everybody hosting data on their own sites is that it
is not possible to make it freely available to members and keep it
from being accessible to the public in general.


yup


The Rootsweb web
space is simply to put up informational information. I don’t think
they have facilities to have member-restricted file access, etc. They
don’t allow any scripts–only static pages on the site…

Though, Joseph, it would probably be worthwhile putting up a page for
our group there that then leads people back here so that we can use it
to possibly recruit new members.

I’m not wanting to wholesale attract rootsweb people. We are 95 members
strong. We could be 150 strong in 6 months if 1/2 of us picked one or
two people to recruit from rootsweb who gave the strong impression of
being very very serious. None of this "do you know Maria Garcia from
Zacatecas? If so send me her whole genealogy. . .thanks in advance" kind
of people.

Would people be willing to do a site on a donation basis?

you mean two sites? I would be willing to donate $20 a year. You build,
moderate, and webmaster the site and copy the info out of the Ranchos2
files area and of course add your own. Those that want to have dual
memberships can join. That way as we start growing bigger and bigger and
bigger the infrastructure for the new group would be laid and the
transition to that group only would be less painful. If we see what you
create and its not to our liking well people always have the option not
to join. I firmly believe that a group can be created with the same
format that we have now, tell me Arturo, Am I right? We’d be able to
message each other and archive the messages. we’d be able to have a file
area, we’d basically have everything we have now except much much much
more file space to put things. We really do need to start looking to the
future. . .me estoy haciendo viejito, es tiempo hacer lugar para los
jovenes.

joseph