[ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling, who is named Alicia Emma.  I will have to tell her she should have a saint's name since she has a pagan name.  Our parents had saint's names:  Luisa and Guadalupe.  I wonder where they got the name Alicia.  There is no one in the family with that name.  I know that I was named after my mother's mother, Emilia.  My middle name is Christina---can't get any saintlier than that.  I was born almost on Easter, maybe that is why the name Christina. 
 
Marge, most of the names you mention sound like they came from the classic Greek or Roman---pagan?
 
Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA ---
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

Marge,
 
My dad was named Restituto and he went to court to legally change his name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for short but he hated it.
 
 And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and not Juana because Juana was my saint day and that's the name the priest told my mother she should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan name and it had to be a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to her guns.
 
Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
San Jose, Ca

Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...> wrote:
Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or Reducinda?  One of my
ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio, another Petronilo, and
another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)



YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS





That's what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my middle name is Alicia...my folks said it was after a family friend but I don't remember ever meeting her. My first name is after my Scots mother's sister but in Spanish. I've since discovered that my aunt was named after her grandmother, who was named after her own grandmother. Had I known that I would have named one of my own daughters a variant of it. Marge, who is Shinju in Japanese.:)

On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling, who is named Alicia Emma.  I will have to tell her she should have a saint's name since she has a pagan name.  Our parents had saint's names:  Luisa and Guadalupe.  I wonder where they got the name Alicia.  There is no one in the family with that name.  I know that I was named after my mother's mother, Emilia.  My middle name is Christina---can't get any saintlier than that.  I was born almost on Easter, maybe that is why the name Christina. </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Marge, most of the names you mention sound like they came from the classic Greek or Roman---pagan?</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Emilie Garcia</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Port Orchard, WA ---</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>----- Original Message -----</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>From:</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>Alicia Carrillo</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>To:</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>ranchos@yahoogroups.com</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Sent:</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Subject:</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS</x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>Marge,</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>My dad was named Restituto and he went to court to legally change his name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for short but he hated it.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and not Juana because Juana was my saint day and that's the name the priest told my mother she should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan name and it had to be a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to her guns.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Alicia Avelar de Carrillo</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>San Jose, Ca</x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...></x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> wrote:</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger>Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or Reducinda?  One of my</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio, another Petronilo, and</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)</x-tad-bigger>


<x-tad-bigger>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>
▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> Visit your group "</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>ranchos</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>" on the web.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> ▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> ▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Yahoo! Terms of Service</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>




<x-tad-bigger>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller> ▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> Visit your group "</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>ranchos</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>" on the web.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> ▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> ▪ </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Yahoo! Terms of Service</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>


Marge and Emilie,
 
Alicia must be a very new name because in all my research I have not once found this name either in my ancestors or any other records. I guess we are modern women hence the new variant of a name. I guess that's also why I am not saintly, no precedents in my namesake.
 
Alicia, a saint in waiting or in the making............hope is everlasting, (sigh, sigh).

Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...> wrote:
That's what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my middle name is Alicia...my
folks said it was after a family friend but I don't remember ever
meeting her. My first name is after my Scots mother's sister but in
Spanish. I've since discovered that my aunt was named after her
grandmother, who was named after her own grandmother. Had I known that
I would have named one of my own daughters a variant of it. Marge, who
is Shinju in Japanese.:)

On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia wrote:

> Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling, who is named Alicia
> Emma.  I will have to tell her she should have a saint's name since
> she has a pagan name.  Our parents had saint's names:  Luisa and
> Guadalupe.  I wonder where they got the name Alicia.  There is no one
> in the family with that name.  I know that I was named after my
> mother's mother, Emilia.  My middle name is Christina---can't get any
> saintlier than that.  I was born almost on Easter, maybe that is why
> the name Christina. 
>  
> Marge, most of the names you mention sound like they came from the
> classic Greek or Roman---pagan?
>  
> Emilie Garcia
> Port Orchard, WA ---
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Alicia Carrillo
>> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
>> Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
>>
>> Marge,
>>  
>> My dad was named Restituto and he went to court to legally change his
>> name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for short but he hated
>> it.
>>  
>>  And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and not Juana because Juana
>> was my saint day and that's the name the priest told my mother she
>> should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan name and it had to be
>> a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to her guns.
>>  
>> Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
>> San Jose, Ca
>>
>> Margarita Vallazza wrote:
>>> Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or Reducinda?  One of my
>>> ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio, another Petronilo, and
>>> another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)
>>>
>>>
>>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>>>
>>>
>>> �  Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
>>>  
>>> �  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>>>  ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>>>  
>>> �  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>>> Service.
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
> �  Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
>  
> �  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>  ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>  
> �  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.
>
>

Hey, there is nothing wrong with our old Spanish
names.  My great-----grandaunt's name was Maria
Guadalupe Leogarda De La Cruz Pena Morales, 1797,
Valle De Allende, Chihuahua,Mexico. 

They were long but beautiful.

Alberto Duarte Prieto
Santa Maria, California

— Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@…> wrote:

> Marge and Emilie,
>
> Alicia must be a very new name because in all my
> research I have not once found this name either in
> my ancestors or any other records. I guess we are
> modern women hence the new variant of a name. I
> guess that’s also why I am not saintly, no
> precedents in my namesake.
>
> Alicia, a saint in waiting or in the
> making…hope is everlasting, (sigh, sigh).
>
> Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@…> wrote:
> That’s what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my middle
> name is Alicia…my
> folks said it was after a family friend but I don’t
> remember ever
> meeting her. My first name is after my Scots
> mother’s sister but in
> Spanish. I’ve since discovered that my aunt was
> named after her
> grandmother, who was named after her own
> grandmother. Had I known that
> I would have named one of my own daughters a variant
> of it. Marge, who
> is Shinju in Japanese.:slight_smile:
>
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia wrote:
>
> > Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling,
> who is named Alicia
> > Emma. I will have to tell her she should have a
> saint’s name since
> > she has a pagan name. Our parents had saint’s
> names:Â Luisa and
> > Guadalupe. I wonder where they got the name
> Alicia. There is no one
> > in the family with that name. I know that I was
> named after my
> > mother’s mother, Emilia. My middle name is
> Christina—can’t get any
> > saintlier than that. I was born almost on
> Easter, maybe that is why
> > the name Christina.Â
> > Â
> > Marge, most of the names you mention sound like
> they came from the
> > classic Greek or Roman—pagan?
> > Â
> > Emilie Garcia
> > Port Orchard, WA —
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: Alicia Carrillo
> >> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> >> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
> >> Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
> >>
> >> Marge,
> >> Â
> >> My dad was named Restituto and he went to court
> to legally change his
> >> name to Jose. Many people called him ‘‘Tuto’’ for
> short but he hated
> >> it.
> >> Â
> >> Â And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and
> not Juana because Juana
> >> was my saint day and that’s the name the priest
> told my mother she
> >> should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan
> name and it had to be
> >> a saint’s name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to
> her guns.
> >> Â
> >> Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
> >> San Jose, Ca
> >>
> >> Margarita Vallazza wrote:
> >>> Aren’t you glad to not be named Reducindo or
> Reducinda? One of my
> >>> ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio,
> another Petronilo, and
> >>> another Zenobio…what names!!! Marge:)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> >>> Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> the Yahoo! Terms of
> >>> Service.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> > â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> > Â
> > â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> > Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Â
> > â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service.
> >
> >
>
>
>


Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

No, Alberto, our ancestor's names were not unusual in their time and place, but a name like Gorgonia [Garcia], my father's mother, sounds so awful to us now, especially those of us raised here in the US.  Refugio sounds ugly also, but Gorgonia!  Heavens, wasn't she the lady in mythology that had snakes for hair? and anyone unfortunate enough to catch a glimpse of her would turn to stone?  No wonder I can't find any record of her birth.
 
Emilie Garcia'
Port Orchard, WA ---
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

Hey, there is nothing wrong with our old Spanish
names.  My great-----grandaunt's name was Maria
Guadalupe Leogarda De La Cruz Pena Morales, 1797,
Valle De Allende, Chihuahua,Mexico.

They were long but beautiful.

Alberto Duarte Prieto
Santa Maria, California

--- Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@...> wrote:

> Marge and Emilie,
>   
>   Alicia must be a very new name because in all my
> research I have not once found this name either in
> my ancestors or any other records. I guess we are
> modern women hence the new variant of a name. I
> guess that's also why I am not saintly, no
> precedents in my namesake.
>   
>   Alicia, a saint in waiting or in the
> making............hope is everlasting, (sigh, sigh).
>
> Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...> wrote:
>   That's what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my middle
> name is Alicia...my
> folks said it was after a family friend but I don't
> remember ever
> meeting her. My first name is after my Scots
> mother's sister but in
> Spanish. I've since discovered that my aunt was
> named after her
> grandmother, who was named after her own
> grandmother. Had I known that
> I would have named one of my own daughters a variant
> of it. Marge, who
> is Shinju in Japanese.:)
>
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia wrote:
>
> > Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling,
> who is named Alicia
> > Emma.  I will have to tell her she should have a
> saint's name since
> > she has a pagan name.  Our parents had saint's
> names:  Luisa and
> > Guadalupe.  I wonder where they got the name
> Alicia.  There is no one
> > in the family with that name.  I know that I was
> named after my
> > mother's mother, Emilia.  My middle name is
> Christina---can't get any
> > saintlier than that.  I was born almost on
> Easter, maybe that is why
> > the name Christina.Â
> > Â
> > Marge, most of the names you mention sound like
> they came from the
> > classic Greek or Roman---pagan?
> > Â
> > Emilie Garcia
> > Port Orchard, WA ---
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: Alicia Carrillo
> >> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> >> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
> >> Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
> >>
> >> Marge,
> >> Â
> >> My dad was named Restituto and he went to court
> to legally change his
> >> name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for
> short but he hated
> >> it.
> >> Â
> >> Â And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and
> not Juana because Juana
> >> was my saint day and that's the name the priest
> told my mother she
> >> should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan
> name and it had to be
> >> a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to
> her guns.
> >> Â
> >> Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
> >> San Jose, Ca
> >>
> >> Margarita Vallazza wrote:
> >>> Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or
> Reducinda?  One of my
> >>> ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio,
> another Petronilo, and
> >>> another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> >>> Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> the Yahoo! Terms of
> >>> Service.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> > â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> > Â
> > â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> > Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Â
> > â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service.
> >
> >
>  
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

No, Alberto, our ancestor's names were not unusual in their time and place, but a name like Gorgonia [Garcia],
 
---------------------------I do not see why it would sound awful: It is from St. Gorgonia, one of the early Christian saints.   
 
 my father's mother, sounds so awful to us now, especially those of us raised here in the US. 
 
--------------------------that's because they lack  the knowledge of  early Christian Greek saints.
 
 Refugio sounds ugly also,
 
-------------------------Since when has refuge from anything been ugly??
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

Hey, there is nothing wrong with our old Spanish
names.  My great-----grandaunt's name was Maria
Guadalupe Leogarda De La Cruz Pena Morales, 1797,
Valle De Allende, Chihuahua,Mexico.

They were long but beautiful.

Alberto Duarte Prieto
Santa Maria, California

--- Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@...> wrote:

> Marge and Emilie,
>   
>   Alicia must be a very new name because in all my
> research I have not once found this name either in
> my ancestors or any other records. I guess we are
> modern women hence the new variant of a name. I
> guess that's also why I am not saintly, no
> precedents in my namesake.
>   
>   Alicia, a saint in waiting or in the
> making............hope is everlasting, (sigh, sigh).
>
> Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...> wrote:
>   That's what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my middle
> name is Alicia...my
> folks said it was after a family friend but I don't
> remember ever
> meeting her. My first name is after my Scots
> mother's sister but in
> Spanish. I've since discovered that my aunt was
> named after her
> grandmother, who was named after her own
> grandmother. Had I known that
> I would have named one of my own daughters a variant
> of it. Marge, who
> is Shinju in Japanese.:)
>
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia wrote:
>
> > Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only sibling,
> who is named Alicia
> > Emma.  I will have to tell her she should have a
> saint's name since
> > she has a pagan name.  Our parents had saint's
> names:  Luisa and
> > Guadalupe.  I wonder where they got the name
> Alicia.  There is no one
> > in the family with that name.  I know that I was
> named after my
> > mother's mother, Emilia.  My middle name is
> Christina---can't get any
> > saintlier than that.  I was born almost on
> Easter, maybe that is why
> > the name Christina.Â
> > Â
> > Marge, most of the names you mention sound like
> they came from the
> > classic Greek or Roman---pagan?
> > Â
> > Emilie Garcia
> > Port Orchard, WA ---
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: Alicia Carrillo
> >> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> >> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
> >> Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
> >>
> >> Marge,
> >> Â
> >> My dad was named Restituto and he went to court
> to legally change his
> >> name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for
> short but he hated
> >> it.
> >> Â
> >> Â And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and
> not Juana because Juana
> >> was my saint day and that's the name the priest
> told my mother she
> >> should name me. He told her Alicia was a pagan
> name and it had to be
> >> a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to
> her guns.
> >> Â
> >> Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
> >> San Jose, Ca
> >>
> >> Margarita Vallazza wrote:
> >>> Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or
> Reducinda?  One of my
> >>> ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio,
> another Petronilo, and
> >>> another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> >>> Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >>> Â
> >>> â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> the Yahoo! Terms of
> >>> Service.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> > â?ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> > Â
> > â?ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> > Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Â
> > â?ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service.
> >
> >
>  
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
I started my genealogy research after we named our
last child.  But recently I told my wife, if I had
known the names of my great---grandparents, uncles,
and aunts, I would have named our children after them.
 She saw my list, and told me "No, Way!"  In that
case, I would of just given their middle names, like
or not, since I usually gave her first choice of
picking the first names.

I still think our early ancestor’s names were
beautiful.

Alberto Duarte Prieto
Santa Maria, California

— elviraz <elviraz@…> wrote:

>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Emilie Garcia
> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:27 AM
> Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
>
>
> No, Alberto, our ancestor’s names were not unusual
> in their time and place, but a name like Gorgonia
> [Garcia],
>
> ---------------------------I do not see why it
> would sound awful: It is from St. Gorgonia, one of
> the early Christian saints.
>
> my father’s mother, sounds so awful to us now,
> especially those of us raised here in the US.
>
> --------------------------that’s because they lack
> the knowledge of early Christian Greek saints.
>
> Refugio sounds ugly also,
>
> -------------------------Since when has refuge
> from anything been ugly??
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Alberto Duarte
> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
>
>
> Hey, there is nothing wrong with our old Spanish
> names. My great-----grandaunt’s name was Maria
> Guadalupe Leogarda De La Cruz Pena Morales,
> 1797,
> Valle De Allende, Chihuahua,Mexico.
>
> They were long but beautiful.
>
> Alberto Duarte Prieto
> Santa Maria, California
>
> — Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@…>
> wrote:
>
> > Marge and Emilie,
> >
> > Alicia must be a very new name because in
> all my
> > research I have not once found this name
> either in
> > my ancestors or any other records. I guess we
> are
> > modern women hence the new variant of a name.
> I
> > guess that’s also why I am not saintly, no
> > precedents in my namesake.
> >
> > Alicia, a saint in waiting or in the
> > making…hope is everlasting, (sigh,
> sigh).
> >
> > Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@…>
> wrote:
> > That’s what I thought, too, Em! BTW, my
> middle
> > name is Alicia…my
> > folks said it was after a family friend but I
> don’t
> > remember ever
> > meeting her. My first name is after my Scots
> > mother’s sister but in
> > Spanish. I’ve since discovered that my aunt
> was
> > named after her
> > grandmother, who was named after her own
> > grandmother. Had I known that
> > I would have named one of my own daughters a
> variant
> > of it. Marge, who
> > is Shinju in Japanese.:slight_smile:
> >
> > On Dec 21, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Emilie Garcia
> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, Alicia, I have a sister, my only
> sibling,
> > who is named Alicia
> > > Emma. I will have to tell her she should
> have a
> > saint’s name since
> > > she has a pagan name. Our parents had
> saint’s
> > names:Â Luisa and
> > > Guadalupe. I wonder where they got the
> name
> > Alicia. There is no one
> > > in the family with that name. I know that
> I was
> > named after my
> > > mother’s mother, Emilia. My middle name is
> > Christina—can’t get any
> > > saintlier than that. I was born almost on
> > Easter, maybe that is why
> > > the name Christina.Â
> > > Â
> > > Marge, most of the names you mention sound
> like
> > they came from the
> > > classic Greek or Roman—pagan?
> > > Â
> > > Emilie Garcia
> > > Port Orchard, WA —
> > >> ----- Original Message -----
> > >> From: Alicia Carrillo
> > >> To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
> > >> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
> > >> Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
> > >>
> > >> Marge,
> > >> Â
> > >> My dad was named Restituto and he went to
> court
> > to legally change his
> > >> name to Jose. Many people called him
> ‘‘Tuto’’ for
> > short but he hated
> > >> it.
> > >> Â
> > >> Â And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia
> and
> > not Juana because Juana
> > >> was my saint day and that’s the name the
> priest
> > told my mother she
> > >> should name me. He told her Alicia was a
> pagan
> > name and it had to be
> > >> a saint’s name. Three cheers for mom who
> stuck to
> > her guns.
> > >> Â
> > >> Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
> > >> San Jose, Ca
> > >>
> > >> Margarita Vallazza wrote:
> > >>> Aren’t you glad to not be named Reducindo
> or
> > Reducinda? One of my
> > >>> ancestors is named Narciso, another
> Prudencio,
> > another Petronilo, and
> > >>> another Zenobio…what names!!! Marge:)
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> â-ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the
> web.
> > >>> Â
> > >>> â-ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send
> an
> > email to:
> > >>> Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > >>> Â
> > >>> â-ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
> to
> > the Yahoo! Terms of
> > >>> Service.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>
> > >
> > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> > >
> > > â-ª Â Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
> > > Â
> > > â-ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send
> an
> > email to:
> > > Â ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > > Â
> > > â-ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
> to the
> > Yahoo! Terms of
> > > Service.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> protection
=== message truncated ===


Yahoo! DSL ? Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Please see comments below.
 
Elvira
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS
 
Marge, most of the names you mention sound like they came from the classic Greek or Roman---pagan?
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The way I heard it from my Jesuit priest friend is that early in the Conquest the Catholic church decided to give  names to Indians of only known saints or martyrs of the Church.  Of course, almost all of them were early Roman and Greek martyrs. I think this was done because as all conquering armies go about their business, some individuals  decide to have a little nasty fun with names with people that do not speak their language.  I had plenty of experience with that while working for the INS. A lot of American (very few were GIs) left children who they named with insulting names but changed the spelling; they told the mothers that they were English names when in reality they were nasty words.
 
    My friend told me that this was also the case with the some Spanish in the Phillipines (yes, I saw the examples. Here's the mildest one for a last name: Cagado).  The majority of the Spanish did not approve of that malicious prank  thus the costumbre of naming persons in Spanish posessions with uplifting names was born. What I gathered was that the Spanish would not record names which were nasty or hinted of impropiety as the names were imposed during baptism, however, I am sure that a few got through.
 
 
Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA ---
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:15 PM
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

Marge,
 
My dad was named Restituto and he went to court to legally change his name to Jose. Many people called him ''Tuto'' for short but he hated it. 
 And yes I am glad my mom named me Alicia and not Juana because Juana was my saint day and that's the name the priest told my mother she should name me.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I feel sorry for the priest who said that! Evidently he was not familiar with the early Christian martyrs.
 
 He told her Alicia was a pagan name and it had to be a saint's name. Three cheers for mom who stuck to her guns.
 
Alicia Avelar de Carrillo
San Jose, Ca

Margarita Vallazza <TeaCozyGran@...> wrote:
Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or Reducinda? 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------I got plenty of people with those names in my family. I even hav a prudenciana and Prudenciano. I got Petras/Pedros and Petronilas/Petronilos "pa'aventar pa'arriba!
 
One of my ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio, another Petronilo, and
another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)


   
SINECIO        =  Sinesio: Greek name maning the intelligent one, smart one
 
I think they're all awesome, strong names, although I don't understand some of them.  To me, they're all unique and very very cool.  I wish my mom had named me a typical Mexican name.....I've never liked my name and got teased a lot.  Peggy, my name, sounds caucasian (nothing against caucasians, but I would have like something more .....I don't know....ethnic.......)
 
Merry Christmas everyone!
-----Original Message-----
From: ranchos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of John Gonzalez
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:52 PM
To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Odd names WAS Re: [ranchos] Re: Godina Family

You mentioned custom plates;
 
My father's name was Nemesio, how common is that?  not very!  and my maternal granfather's name was Priciliano.  I am John Gonzalez, or if you prefer, Juan Gonzalez.  My custom license plate is:  1Gnzlz  (One Gonzalez) =sounds like Juan Gonzalez.  There are four Juan Gonzalez in my great grandfather's line, I am number five.  (Boring.  Lack of imagination? or just trying to perpetuate the name ?)  None of my kids are named John.
 
John Gonzalez
Wildomar, CA
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: Odd names WAS Re: [ranchos] Re: Godina Family

In a message dated 12/20/2005 9:39:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, TeaCozyGran@... writes:
Aren't you glad to not be named Reducindo or Reducinda?  One of my
ancestors is named Narciso, another Prudencio, another Petronilo, and
another Zenobio...what names!!!!  Marge:)
There is nothing wrong with these names. Our ancestors apparently felt these names were much better and different than the custom plate names.
 
Jerry 
Thanks Elvira!!!  I knew they were great names, now I'm a little more educated on what they mean.  Thanks!
-----Original Message-----
From: ranchos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ranchos@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of elviraz
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:05 AM
To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Odd names WAS

I am temporarily back home, so here are some of the names you were wondering about. I have some of them in my family also.  You'll notice that the spanish Priests never picked stupid, insulting names, only uplifting ones and worthy of emulation.
 
Elvira 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:24 PM
Subject: RE: Odd names WAS Re: [ranchos] Re: Godina Family

Here is a list of names in MY family tree:
 
NARCISO            = Greek. From the Greek word "Narkiso", means  " the wise one, "Aquel con sabiduría". Was also the beautiful                                     young son of Cefiso and Liriope in Greek mythology, whom Nemesis, the goddess of vengeance punished.  It's                                 celebarated on  29  October. 
 
ZEREFINA           = (or Zeferina) (Serafina, Serefina Serafina, Seferina, Sarafina, Seferino, Sepherina Zepherina, Zepherino) =  The                                 ardent one.   I think this comes as a translation from the Italian
LEONISIO            =   (Leonisia, Lionel, Leonel, Lionela, Leonela, Leonilia, Leonila, Leonilio) = Lion
 
TRANQUILINO   =  (Tranquilina) The tranquil one
 
PLUTARCO        = a Greek name meaning  a rich prince
 
ABUNDIO            = Abundancia, abundant, plentiful
 
BLAS(A)              = a stutterer (latin) Female+ Blasa commonly seen in Mexico as Maria Blas.
 
DECIDERIO, DESIDERIO(A)       =  Latin. Loved by God. 
 
GERMANA           = German, from  Germany
 
ROMUALDA(O)  = 
Germán. Of nordic origin, means "ruler with fame, famous ruler?.
  
 
ABATO                = Padre (abbot = father). From the latín  abbas.
 
TIRSO                 =   
Greek "Thirsos", means ?he who commands?. Celebrated on  24 September. Tirso de Molina was a famous                                     Spanish writer.
 
DIONICIO          =  Dionysos (M), Son of the God, = M: Denis (fra), Dionisio (it), Dyonisius (germ), Dennis, Denys, Dwight                                                 (eng), Femenine: Denise, Denice, Dionise, Dionysia (fra).  -> M, Female: Sydney (English contraction of St                                                  Denis)
CASIMIRO        =  Means "to destroy peace", derived from the Slavic element kazic "to destroy" combined with mir "peace" (or                                     possibly  the older element mer "great"). Four kings of Poland have borne this name, including Casimir III the                                     Great,  who greatly strengthened the Polish state in the 14th century. The name also belonged to Saint Casimir,                                 a 15th-century Polish prince and a patron saint of Poland and Lithuania. also from Kashmir
 
SABINA(O)    =
Latín. Means "she who is easy to converse with, to live with ("Aquella que es muy agradable de trato").