[ranchos] Re: Priciliano Cerro Godina

You are correct.  Iam thinking, California.  It is very unlikely that the local weatherman would mention the Sierra Madre Oriental or Sierra Madre Occidental in Mexico.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 10:09 AM
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Priciliano Cerro Godina

--- In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@v...> wrote:
>
> I remember seen a definition of cerro as backbone, or espinazo.
Cerros means a small mountain.  It goes: Loma, cerro, montaña y
sierra, degrees according to size.  Sierra means "saw" as the tool the
carpenters use.  The name  "sierra" was given to the mountain chain
because they resemble the teeth of a  saw. There is only one Sierra
Nevada, it was named for its snow covered peaks.  I just cringe when I
hear statements in the media such as:  "Great week-end to visit the
sierras"  TV people  (professionals?)  Should know that there is only
one "Sierra" .

Right, John.  Unless they're referring to México's sierras.  ;-)

http://www.galeon.com/cumbres/Archivos/orografia.htm





No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.12/192 - Release Date: 12/5/2005
Hi Ed:
 
This is great information , thank you.  I do have Google Earth and will take a look at Lanestosa Spain.
 
I am almost sure that my grandgfather was rom Pánuco.  Iam having problems finding his father Jose Maria Cerro. I was able to find his mother , Victoriana Godina who was born in Colotlan Jalisco, also found her parents.  But it is the Cerro line that I would like to research first.
 
Thank you.
 
John Gonzalez
Wildomar CA
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:39 AM
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Priciliano Cerro Godina

--- In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, "John Gonzalez" <1gnzlz@v...> wrote:
>   > I remember seen a definition of cerro as backbone, or espinazo.
>   Cerros means a small mountain.  It goes: Loma, cerro, montaña y
>   sierra, degrees according to size. >

John,

Using the Mormon data and the Archivos en Red, I have tracked back at least on person
with del Cerro surname to Lanestosa, Spain...