I agree with Angie about all the good hints given in the Genealogy.com articles on Colonial writing. It is amazing to me that throughout the Western world in the 18th century, when communicating and traveling took forever, that people used the same script from London to Madrid to New York to Mexico. Since the priests were the educated class, I guess they standardized handwriting. However, it is also amazing to me that even in 18th century records, I sometimes come across script that is as modern as what we use today. I bless such priests when I read their jottings in baptisms, etc., and I curse the ones who had sloppy handriting or used the most archaic scripts. For each change of priests in the recordings of baptisms, etc, I have to study and compare the way a particular priest formed his letters before I can understand his writing---then just as I am familiar with his writing, there comes another priest's handwriting, and off we go again. Also, don't you also just hate it when they use abbreviations such as "en dcho dia del dcho mes de dcho a~no" and you have to scroll back ten frames to find out what day, month and year you are in when you come across a record you want to copy? I think also finally after many years of viewing thousands upon thousands of microfilmed records I have made a mental note of all the possilbe abbreviations used for the many given names and surnames, etc. I love going to the FHC at Salt Lake City where they have the 40X and 60X viewers. Our local FHC doesn't have those, and I have to use a magnifying glass, and my eyesight is just about shot. Amen. Emilie Garcia Port Orchard, WA
Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com |
-----Original Message-----
From: Emilie Garcia
Sent: Jul 12, 2005 8:00 PM
To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Reading Old Handwriting
<?---- LSpots keywords ?><?---- HM ADS ?>----- Original Message -----From: aajay1073Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:20 PMTo: ranchos@yahoogroups.comSubject: [ranchos] Re: Reading Old HandwritingAs an added note...for anyone starting out. I recommend you read all
the articles from the last link regarding handwriting and common
mispellings. The record abstracts become easier to read if you are
aware of the handwriting 'issues' described. Also searching for your
ancestors with the common mispelling thrown in allow you to find
baptizism and marriage records that you won't find otherwise.
Angie
--- In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, "aajay1073" <aajay1073@y...> wrote:
> Under Genealogy.com Research guidelines, Deciphering Documents and
> Handwriting there are a few articles:
>
> 1) Reading Handwriting
> http://www.genealogy.com/00000010.html
>
> Towards the top of this document it says:
> "Watch out for double S's. The first S in a pair was often written
to
> look like a lower case F."
>
> 2) Guidelines for Reading Old Documents
> http://www.genealogy.com/68_sperry.html
>
> The material at Genealogy.com is a good read if you have a chance
to
> browse over there:
> http://www.genealogy.com/developing_research_skills.html
>
> Good luck,
> Angie
>
> --- In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Puentes <makas@n...> wrote:
> >
> > I was watching a documentary about American Slave Narratives. In
one
> of
> > the stories it was talking about slaves being sold at auction and
> they
> > showed a bill of sale. the time period was about 1850. In the
bill of
> > sale at the bottom it spell "witness" like this:
> >
> > "witnefs"
> >
> > now this reminds me of the times I've seen Castañeda spelled
Caftañeda
> >
> > does anyone know about the use of the "F" for "S's" in early
> handwritting?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > joseph
<?---- LSpots keywords ?><?---- HM ADS ?>
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
- Visit your group "ranchos" on the web.
- To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
- Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Viewing old church records: I learned something about reviewing old church records whenever trying to read them: You have to read them real slow and look for key letters that make up your ancestors first and last names. The overall penmanship of the priests was very good, but the copied documents are usually in poor condition because of time.A couple of years ago I was looking at the 1700s Jerez
church marriage records, and I noticed my
greatggggggmothers last name of Sanchez. The letters
S,a,c, h and z, stood out, and then I looked closer
and found my greatggggggfathers last name (Duarte)
which was spelled like Quarti. Upon further review of
the record I found other names that were barely
identifiable (Salazar and Sanchez)which were the last
names of my greatgggggggparents. They got married in
1797 in Jerez, and after years of research I was also
able to identify the other names listed on the record
as my aunt and uncle (Gamboa family).After many years of researching, I have found names
listed on the marriage and baptism records, are
usually relatives of the party.Also, please have a lot of patience, because
researching of old church records is a very slow
process, but it is worth the time and effort.I’ve recently noticed that my last name Duarte, being
spelled Huarte! Which name is correct? probably both
of them.Alberto Duarte
Santa Maria, California— zendean <usa20@…> wrote:
Emile; I agree with you post about old Handwriting
and wrote that effect earlier. I am extracting - Our
lady of Candelaria Cahtolic Church in Gatamala. I
think I have the lettering right and the priest
changes ! One priest will write and "T" by crossing a
"J" another priest will come and the "J" becomes a
semi-"J" with a "U" above it. SEEESH ! You are not
the only one with this problem and I just wanted to
express my frustration along with you. One thing that
gets tyo me is the thin pens used so the entry is
faint and the letters undestingguishable. I prefer the
broad sweeping strokes of some of the priest who us a
standard caligraphy.Happy to see your entry.
Jose Luis Macias
-----Original Message-----
From: Emilie Garcia
Sent: Jul 12, 2005 8:00 PM
To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ranchos] Re: Reading Old HandwritingI agree with Angie about all the good hints given in
the Genealogy.com articles on Colonial writing. It is
amazing to me that throughout the Western world in the
18th century, when communicating and traveling took
forever, that people used the same script from London
to Madrid to New York to Mexico. Since the priests
were the educated class, I guess they standardized
handwriting. However, it is also amazing to me that
even in 18th century records, I sometimes come across
script that is as modern as what we use today. I
bless such priests when I read their jottings in
baptisms, etc., and I curse the ones who had sloppy
handriting or used the most archaic scripts.For each change of priests in the recordings of
baptisms, etc, I have to study and compare the way a
particular priest formed his letters before I can
understand his writing—then just as I am familiar
with his writing, there comes another priest’s
handwriting, and off we go again. Also, don’t you
also just hate it when they use abbreviations such as
"en dcho dia del dcho mes de dcho a~no" and you have
to scroll back ten frames to find out what day, month
and year you are in when you come across a record you
want to copy? I think also finally after many years
of viewing thousands upon thousands of microfilmed
records I have made a mental note of all the possilbe
abbreviations used for the many given names and
surnames, etc. I love going to the FHC at Salt Lake
City where they have the 40X and 60X viewers. Our
local FHC doesn’t have those, and I have to use a
magnifying glass, and my eyesight is just about shot.
Amen.Emilie Garcia
Port Orchard, WA----- Original Message -----
From: aajay1073
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:20 PM
To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ranchos] Re: Reading Old HandwritingAs an added note…for anyone starting out. I
recommend you read all
the articles from the last link regarding handwriting
and common
mispellings. The record abstracts become easier to
read if you are
aware of the handwriting ‘issues’ described. Also
searching for your
ancestors with the common mispelling thrown in allow
you to find
baptizism and marriage records that you won’t find
otherwise.Angie
— In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, "aajay1073"
<aajay1073@y…> wrote:
> Under Genealogy.com Research guidelines, Deciphering
Documents and
> Handwriting there are a few articles:
>
> 1) Reading Handwriting
> http://www.genealogy.com/00000010.html
>
> Towards the top of this document it says:
> "Watch out for double S’s. The first S in a pair was
often written
to
> look like a lower case F."
>
> 2) Guidelines for Reading Old Documents
> http://www.genealogy.com/68_sperry.html
>
> The material at Genealogy.com is a good read if you
have a chance
to
> browse over there:
>
http://www.genealogy.com/developing_research_skills.html
>
> Good luck,
> Angie
>
> — In ranchos@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Puentes
<makas@n…> wrote:
> >
> > I was watching a documentary about American Slave
Narratives. In
one
> of
> > the stories it was talking about slaves being sold
at auction and
> they
> > showed a bill of sale. the time period was about
1850. In the
bill of
> > sale at the bottom it spell "witness" like this:
> >
> > "witnefs"
> >
> > now this reminds me of the times I’ve seen
Castañeda spelled
Caftañeda
> >
> > does anyone know about the use of the "F" for
"S’s" in early
> handwritting?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > joseph
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
Visit your group "ranchos" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!Terms of Service.
Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
Visit your group "ranchos" on the web. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!Terms of Service.
Yahoo! Mail
Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour:
http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html
|
I added a new folder in the “links” area called “Handwritting” please Under Genealogy.com Research guidelines, Deciphering Documents and Handwriting there are a few articles: |