[ranchos] SALUDOS TO EVERYONE

Hello,
 
I've always wondered if any families had haciendas in the Los Altos area and what differentiates a ranch from a hacienda.  Does anyone out there know how I would go about finding that information? 
 
I stumbled across the Bobby Vaughn website some time ago and found it fascinating.  I think it was only in Mexico City where the blacks outnumbered the Spaniards.  
 
Thanks,
 
Alice

sgapodaca <sgapodaca@...> wrote:

I hope everyone is doing ok. I just came back from a trip to Jalisco
and wanted to let you know that I had a lot of fun. Of course, I used
some of my time there interviewing my relatives and visiting the
Zacoalco's notaria for records from the 1700's. Soon, I'll post an
updated family tree on the files section.

By the way, the conversation about spanish ancestors and indios
ancestors is past already, but I just wanted to remind you that we
must not forget our african roots. According to researcher Bobby
Vaughn, black population outnumbered spaniards during most of the
colonial times. Have a look at this page: www.afromexico.com I, and
probably many of you, have found mulatos, coyotes, and similar terms
on some of our lines, which means that we also have african roots.

Is anyone aware of a book called "Haciendas y Estancias de Jalisco"?
Well, on a trip to Guadalajara, I got a copy of this book, and even
though I haven't read it all, It has some interesting information on
the haciendas of Jalisco.

Ok, I'll keep in touch.




Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'
Note:
I have a historical event book from Jerez, and there
is an article where they were selling black and
mulatto slaves on the open market (early 1700s). In
fact, I believe one of my ancestors buying them.

Question: What happened to all these slaves? When I
went to Jerez, I didn’t see a single black! I believe
they were assimilated in to the population.

Any comments?

Alberto.

— alice wissing <alice_wissing@…> wrote:

> Esperanza,
>
> I’m curious where you read about the blacks
> outnumbering the Spaniards in Zacatecas. I’ve got
> really weird hair and have been traced with
> certainty to a few coyotes and a black, all from
> Durango, which is next to Zacatecas. I’ve never met
> another Mexican with hair as strange as mine -
> coarse, dark, wavy, and it won’t hold a curl. I can
> even forecast the weather with this hair. Once I
> told everyone it was going to rain and it was sunny
> out. Nobody believed me and then it rained that
> night. Sometimes I think God gave me this hair so
> I’d always have something to do.
>
> Alice
>
> latina1955@… wrote:
> Actually, for a while, blacks outnumbered Spaniards
> in Zacatecas as well because they were being used in
> the silver mines that dot the whole state. Did you
> know that Michoacan had an enormous amount of
> Africans there early on as well?
>
> Both my husband (from Michoacan) and myself would
> bet that we have African blood running through our
> veins - primarily because of the very nappy hair
> that both sides of the relatives have.
>
> Esperanza
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab’s ‘Second Term’


Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

When I was in Zacatecas, our tour guide, who took us to my grandmother's hometown of Jerez, looked mulatto.  But I wasn't about to tell him that he looked mulatto.  BTW, Al, which ancestor bought slaves?  Marge V.:)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ranchos] SALUDOS TO EVERYONE

Note:
I have a historical event book from Jerez, and there
is an article where they were selling black and
mulatto slaves on the open market (early 1700s). In
fact, I believe one of my ancestors buying them.

Question: What happened to all these slaves?  When I
went to Jerez, I didn't see a single black!  I believe
they were assimilated in to the population.

Any comments?

Alberto.


--- alice wissing <alice_wissing@...> wrote:

> Esperanza,
> 
> I'm curious where you read about the blacks
> outnumbering the Spaniards in Zacatecas.  I've got
> really weird hair and have been traced with
> certainty to a few coyotes and a black, all from
> Durango, which is next to Zacatecas.  I've never met
> another Mexican with hair as strange as mine -
> coarse, dark, wavy, and it won't hold a curl.  I can
> even forecast the weather with this hair.  Once I
> told everyone it was going to rain and it was sunny
> out.  Nobody believed me and then it rained that
> night.  Sometimes I think God gave me this hair so
> I'd always have something to do.
> 
> Alice
>
> latina1955@... wrote:
> Actually, for a while, blacks outnumbered Spaniards
> in Zacatecas as well because they were being used in
> the silver mines that dot the whole state.  Did you
> know that Michoacan had an enormous amount of
> Africans there early on as well? 
> 
> Both my husband (from Michoacan) and myself would
> bet that we have African blood running through our
> veins - primarily because of the very nappy hair
> that both sides of the relatives have.
> 
> Esperanza
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>    To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/
>  
>    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>  
>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>
>
>            
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'



           
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.13 - Release Date: 1/16/05
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.13 - Release Date: 1/16/05