|
Excuse me for coming late into your conversation on this
topic. It's only because my Spanish is so bad that I ask these questions about
references you made in your suggested wording if attempting to talk to
people in Mexico.
In your suggested statement, you make reference to a rancho in
Jalisco, would by any chance be referencing Rancho de los Gomez, San Juan
Buenaventura, Jalisco, Mexico? My family is from this area which is outside
of Tecolotlan. Actually the extended families range from Autlan to Guadalajara.
The surnames of the root families are Amador, Flores, Cueva, Torres, and
Costillo. Although these names may not ring a bell in the last 150 years, since
our families were likely in this area for hundreds of years, we may have been
Puente's too.
At the turn of the century (20th) the families increased their
migration from Jalisco to California. The most recent wave
departed Tecolotlan in 1920 and traveled by boat north to San Pablo and then by
automobile to Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, California.
It was quite dangerous living on the ranch for many
of the families during the Mexican revolution. Many of the decedents of the
Amador family continue to reside in Santa Maria, CA. Some of the Others
from the Amador family continued the migration north to San Francisco. My
grandfather Andreas Cueva Flores (married to Maria del Rosario Amador) made
his way north to Sacramento, California, just in time for the Great
Depression.
Now how's that for me making the most out of
your wonderful attempt at helping us with the right words in communicating
with families that remain in Jalisco, Mexico?
Have a great day and drink California wine,
Richard Amador Flores
In a message dated 5/14/2005 12:34:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
makas@... writes:
============================== --------------------------------------------------------------
Richard A. Flores Sacramento/Santa Rosa/San Francisco 916-997-5020 -------------------------------------------------------------- |
|
RFWine@... wrote: no sorry but my Ranchos were up in Northern Jalisco no to far from Colotlan and Santa Maria de Los Angeles (also not very very far from Huejucar and even Tepetongo, Zacatecas): Rancho de Animas. The only surname in this list that is in my family (so far) is Torres. If you want to see my list of Torres go to www.familysearch.org click on "Search" then click on the Pedigree Resource Tab and enter this number in Submission Number: 1808662-0104105163210 under Last Name put Torre and Torres (you'll get different results with each). Yes it is very possible that as we do more research that we might find we tie into one surname or the other. Cool. . .how often I've wondered how my family migrated in the late 1890's and early 1900's. I joined a Mexican Train List that sent me info on which trains were in operation during those times between the states of Jalisco and Zacatecas and Aguascalientes going North to Chihuahua. Not to many details but they gave service and departure points. I hope your family made out alright. My family did fine according to my Aunt Julia Puentes who recently passed away. Then again kids very seldom comprehend they are in dire straits if that is what they have become used to. There was a story of my grandfather disciplining my Uncle Manuel for accepting a sack of beans making him take them back. He would tell them that that food was for the ones that really needed it. That story at least told me that they were getting enough to eat during those times. Well thanks and I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you took this opportunity to give us a bit of your families history. Bear in mind that my spanish is "shaky." There are others in the group whose spanish is much more fluent. How about some of you taking what I said and cleaning up the Spanish. give us a more "refined" way of saying what I said. Show us how to say the same thing without broadcasting to the world. . .I'm not a native speaker of Spanish ANYMORE!
My dad had a daily ritual when I was growing up. He would crack and egg into a glass and a small glass of wine. He would down the egg and chase it with the wine. I'm not sure where that came from but who knows maybe its from Jalisco. . .quien sabe? Primo pasame la botella! Joseph Puentes 13110 Meadow Ridge Drive Rougemont, NC 27572 ps: So are thinking in terms of submitting your research? Are you utilizing your local Family History Center? If you need any thoughts or ideas please ask voice them to the group. . .these days more and more folks are chiming in giving their opinions (boy am I glad for that). You never know but if you send out your details in the form of your genealogy report you might find a connection.
|
Very good! In fact, I'm going to use it.Alberto.
— Joseph Puentes <makas@…> wrote:> well, speaking spanish is a must. I didn’t say
> speaking fluently but
> near fluency is a must.
>
> =============================
>
> I just tell whoever answers that My name is Joseph
> Puentes and that I’m
> calling all the Puente and Puentes’ in the phone
> book to see if maybe we
> are distantly related. I go on to say I’m a
> genealogist and have traced
> the family back to 1730. Tracing my family history
> gives me great
> enjoyment and I would be glad to share that
> information if i can make a
> connection between our families. I tell them I think
> we’re related
> because most of the Puentes from [that area] are
> related one way or
> another.
>
> if the person answering is young then I ask if maybe
> their parents or
> grandparents are available to speak with. I also
> make sure to ask if
> anyone in the family is interested in remembering
> the history of the
> family, remember the names, or are intereste in
> making the genealogy tree.
>
> I go on to tell them my parents and grandparents
> names and make them
> understand that it was my grandparents that were
> born in the Rancho. I
> try to get across that genealogy is not easy and it
> will take a little
> bit of an investigation to see if our families come
> from the same tree
> and that they should be patient.
>
> ==============================
>
> "Yo me llamo Jose Puentes y estoy llamando todo los
> Puente y Puentes en
> el libro de telefono para ver si somos parientes
> lejanos. Soy
> Genealogista y he hayado las rutas de mi rama de
> Puentes atras hasta
> 1730. Estudiando la historia de mi familia me
> encanta y gustaria mucho
> mandarte toda esta informacion si puedo hacer el
> conneccion con nuestras
> familias. Pienso que somos parientes porque todo los
> Puentes de Santa
> Maria de Los Angeles son parientes en un modo o
> otro.
>
> Puedo preguntar si sus padres o abuelos estan en
> casa? Hay personas en
> la familia que se acuerden los nombres y conocen el
> arbol de la familia
> o tienen interes en hacer un arbol?
>
> Mis padres se llaman Antonio Puentes y Louisa Perez.
> Pero mis abuelos
> fueron los que estaban nacidos en Jalisco. Ellos se
> llamaron Julio
> Puentes y Virginia Diaz. Estudiando genealogia no es
> muy facil y para
> hayar la conneccion de nuestras familias puede ser
> poco duro. Ojala que
> tenemos un poco de pacencia en la investigacion."
>
> ==============================
>
> joseph
>
>
> Emilie Garcia wrote:
>
> > Yes, Joseph,
> >
> > I would like it if you gave us ideas in what to
> say when we contact
> > people in Mexico, since they seem to be put off if
> one is not entirely
> > fluent in Castellan. Even though I can read and
> understand other
> > languages after studying them, I can’t think on my
> feet fast enough to
> > speak them. In Italy I spoke mostly Spanish whith
> a few Italian words
> > thrown in, and they understood me perfectly well
> and respnded in
> > Italian which I understood. Same thing in France,
> etc.
> >
> > Someone in the Jerezano group told me that the way
> to contact people
> > in Jerez was to ask the radio station to make an
> announcement that you
> > want to contact people who share the same
> ancesors. They said that is
> > the way things like that are usuallly done.
> Perhaps the newspapers
> > there would publish such requests too. My problem
> is that I am
> > reluctant to call or write the radio stations and
> newspapers for fear
> > they won! 't understand me, and I wouldn’t know
> what to say.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Emilie
> > Port Orchard, WA
> >
> >
> >
>> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> > * To visit your group on the web, go to:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/
> >
> > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> > ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >
>
<mailto:ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
> >
> > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>> > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download
> :
> > http://explorer.msn.com
>
>Discover Yahoo!
Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out!
http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html
|
What can be done about those that don't speak the language? I am
such a person. It will be difficult to research the family by making calls
etc. Even if I visited the parish where my greatgrandfather attended, I
wouldn't be able to ask to see burial records, grave records, christenings'
etc.
Irene Garrett Watson
|